Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
I write on week days for work as a project manager. I keep notes for project status and next steps. I use the included notes app and do so versus paper because iOS can read and index the notes. When I‘m not sure where I wrote that I can search and find it within my messy writing. Writing notes versus typing is a better way for me to retain the information. Typing is mindless and happens most of the time without thought. I just let my fingers and brain work out what to say then review with my attention before hitting save or send. Writing I focus on the entire time I write.

GerritV

macrumors 68020
May 11, 2012
Well, if you have your iPad with you EVERYWHERE - you may just well stick to it.

On the other hand, I too used to have my iPad (& Paper 53) with me at all times.
I decided to go back to fountain pen and paper (in my case my Traveler's Notebook and my Lamy 2000).
For me, nothing can beat that experience of focus, inspiration, distraction-free, intimacy...

YMMV

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Well, if you have your iPad with you EVERYWHERE - you may just well stick to it.

On the other hand, I too used to have my iPad (& Paper 53) with me at all times.
I decided to go back to fountain pen and paper (in my case my Traveler's Notebook and my Lamy 2000).
For me, nothing can beat that experience of focus, inspiration, distraction-free, intimacy...

YMMV

Yep. I’m selling my iPad Air and going back to pen and paper for 2020 starting now. Can’t beat that. I’m tired of trying to keep things in sync digitally and what I do on paper.

While I still use OneNote for work meeting notes (typed), no more Apple Pencil for me.

Cant beat paper.

Edit: Decided to keep the Air. But still going back to paper.

Last edited:
Reactions: satchmo

c14nhl

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2008
Edinburgh
Everyday I write on my iPad, almost exclusively for work though.

My reason for preferring to pen(cil) & paper is mostly aligned to keeping notes organised.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
Yep. I’m selling my iPad Air and going back to pen and paper for 2020 starting now. Can’t beat that. I’m tired of trying to keep things in sync digitally and what I do on paper.

While I still use OneNote for work meeting notes (typed), no more Apple Pencil for me.

Cant beat paper.

Edit: Decided to keep the Air. But still going back to paper.

I've tried the going with the Pencil myself but just found it uncomfortable and annoying with the sound of a hard nib tapping onto glass.

Now, I have the first gen Pencil paired to a 6th gen iPad, so I'm sure it's different if you have one of the later models.

If you're old school and like the resistance paper provides, there are protective screens out that supposedly mimic this. But same here. I'm staying with paper.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
I take a lot of handwritten notes for work these days. Really enjoy that process. I also occasionally do a written journal in GoodNotes and then at some stage it gets typed up into Day One.

Can’t say anything bad about Day One, they even provide me and other early customers with a free plan that’s almost as good as their premium subscription.

Day One gets my journal, movie diary and photo memories nicely organized with good metadata.

Reactions: BigMcGuire
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.