Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

- rob -

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
Oakland, CA
Hey Everyone,

I've just released Perch Live, a new Dashcam and Security Cam app for iPhone and iPad that broadcasts Live and Historical Video that anyone can watch instantly anywhere.

The Perch Live iOS app captures video and turns your iPhone or iPad into a "Lens." The Perchlive.com Website lets you watch video, create clips, and comment on all videos.

This app is great if you have an old iPhone or iPad that you'd like to put to good use, but also works with your personal device for dashcaming. Setup is really easy.

Here's how it works as a Security Cam:

iJdKwGy.png

This is a screenshot from the WestCo Perch Live Lens, which is located in Oakland, California. It is set up in an apartment window next door and faces the gas station acting somewhat as a security lens using an old iPhone 5.

The person operating it has had their car broken into twice at this location, and you wouldn't believe some of the crazy stuff it has captured:
Remember, anyone can make a clip from video you've captured with a Lens. There are plenty of other interesting moments from WestCo to find, and I challenge folks to find and create the clips from them. :)

As you can see from the screenshot, there is a Clip Creation Editor that lets you take any full day of video and trim it down to a few seconds if necessary to show a very specific event. You can also play video back at up to 20x speed so you can more quickly scan what happens.

Here's an Example of Perch Live in use as a Dash Cam:

pG675i3.gif
This little Gif is from a clip I just made called, "Curving Drive Through SW Portland." I created it from a Lens called Rob's views from all over I from my personal iPhone I carry everyday (an iPhone 6.)

As you can see, the quality from an iPhone is very high, so it is a great Dashcam tool. This can allow you to capture interesting drives, and also potentially save you from a lawsuit if it can prove someone else caused an accident or otherwise.

Example of Perch Live in Use as a Nature Cam:

TyXHDj9.jpg

This is taken from the Bernese Puppies Lens, which my mom set up and was kind enough to help alpha / beta test the app. This actually went accidentally viral getting over 25k views in just a few weeks with no promotion.

The puppies have moved on to their homes, but you can still watch and create clips from their antics. The Calendar widget lets you see all the days that are available, and you can actually see these puppies grow in front of your eyes as you browse the days they're in this pen.

How the App Works

You can set up your own Security cam or Dash cam using the Perch Live app, which entered the App Store yesterday.

Here's the process:

1. Download the app.
2. Sign up or Sign in to your Perch account.
3. Create your lens.
4. Position the iPhone or iPad.
5. Hit Record.

The screenshots of the process are available in the App Store. It is very simple.

Within one minute, your live stream will be viewable on PerchLive.com. This video will be backed up and archived every hour. At the end of each day, the video is added to the Daily History, and will then be available in the Lens History Calendar:

BPLbayJ.png

Tips and Tricks
For some tips and tricks on setting up a lens, refer to the Perch Live About page. This includes a list of mounts for you car, bike or window that make it much easier to set up a Lens. Trust me, I started out duct taping the phone to the window and using cardboard. Mounts make all the difference.

Free Mount Giveaway with Beta Group
I am giving away Free mounts, which I will send to you if you have something interesting you are willing to add to Perch. The way to do this is to sign up and click the Join Beta link. Please mention that you are from Mac Rumors, so I know where you came from.

I think that's it for now. This thing is only a few weeks old, and there are still some quirks. (For example, the web works way better on your Mac than on an iPad or iPhone right now) We'll be making a lot of improvements and I would love to get your feedback.

I'll be happy to answer any questions here! Thanks a lot, folks. This is easily my favorite website for reading news about Apple and its products, and I'm happy to be a part of this community.

Rob

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.