Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yumiko Noua

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 24, 2022
WARNING: The use of this client can make your account terminated(is really low the possibility, but still.) use this guide at your own risk!

Hello! i recently found a discord alternative client with the name "abaddon" and i asked myself "can i build/compile it on my imac g3 with openbsd?" well, the answer is yes!
So here is the guide(noob friendly)!

first, you need to know that this client is made in c++ and gtk3, so there is the dependencies(can be found on the repository of abaddon):

WARNING: the name of this dependencies are for openbsd 7.3, based on the openbsd repository!
1) cmake
2) gtk3mm
3) atk2mm
4) g++
5) sqlite
6) libhandy
7) glib2mm
8) c++
9) gcc
10) nlohmann-json

after install this dependencies, can now compile the client [chatgpt helped me] (warn me if i miss some dependencies)

first, clone the repository with git where you want:

git clone https://github.com/uowuo/abaddon.git

enter in the directory with:

cd abaddon

then create a build directory and enter the folder:

mkdir build && cd build

configure the project with:

cmake -GNinja ..

compile everything with:

ninja

finally install it with:

ninja install

after a while (and without errors) abaddon now is installed, now move it and abaddon.ini to the directory "src" in the same place where you clone the repository, because there is everything for make work the client, i mean, for me worked this, may can you say me a batter way.

to make it easier for you to find the directory with abaddon, i suggest you to use a file manager like "rox" or others.

now the guide is finished, there is some photo with my imac g3 running abaddon on openbsd 7.3

1) first photo, yes i'm italian, not notice this.

IMG_20230424_111839_edit_261420634401776.jpg

2) second, with the system info
IMG_20230424_121331_edit_263969957533679.jpg

i hope you like this guide! let me know i missed something :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.