Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DontGetHit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2021
Got a Performa 5215CD and when I boot it up I get fan spin and drive noise but no video. The CD drive even opens up. When I take out the board there is no damage and other than a fine layer of dust, it looks like new. What could be the problem here? If it needs a recap, where can I find an in depth guide on disassembly? Thanks!

DontGetHit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2021
Might be time to take that dinosaur to the recycler.
Awwww c'mon what is the fun in that! Update: It works! I took the board out and removed the clock battery and now it works. Although I don't know if what fixed it was removing the clock battery or reseating the board

Reactions: TheShortTimer

mustagcoupe

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2020
Awwww c'mon what is the fun in that! Update: It works! I took the board out and removed the clock battery and now it works. Although I don't know if what fixed it was removing the clock battery or reseating the board
Nice. I just got a performa 6200 which is the same board in a desktop case. Its not nearly as bad as people say they are, i like mine a lot. I replaced the weird clock battery in mine with a 3x AA battery holder, i soldered the original connector to it and it plugs right in. It wont fit in the original space though so you will need to find someplace to put it. I put mine in the tv tuner bay which seems to be in a different location on the 5200. I put an SD to ide adapter in mine with a 16gb sd card partitioned into 4 partitions, it works flawlessly. I used an SD card extension to relocate the sd card to the same tv tuner bay as the battery. I chose to put both things in the tv tuner bay because a tv tuner is basically useless now and the cover for it is plastic backed by metal held on with screws instead of clips so its unlikely to break. But it looks like the 5200 uses a different setup so you would need to figure out something else.

EDIT: I would also strongly recommend taking a look at the power supply if you can get the case apart without breaking it. The capacitors in my power supply had started leaking and had started damaging some of the traces on the board. The 5200 uses a different power supply but probably the same capacitors. You should also look at the ones on the motherboard but thats a much easier task.

Last edited:

DontGetHit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 16, 2021
Yeah I had heard that the hate was exaggerated but I figured that worst case scenario I have a nice machine that can write to floppy disks for compact Macs. I have wanted one for so long but couldn't justify the purchase since I had no way of getting software over to them. Also I will definitely look at the power supply thanks for the tip. However I am very worried cause the plastic is ridiculously brittle. When I wasn't getting any video I figured I might as well use the brightness controls, and when I did the button snapped right off. I'm definitely going to need to do a lot of research before hand since it seems that the smallest error could be horrific.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.