Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
A friend of mine has on old Performa that does not turn on. I'm not sure which model. He gave me the old 350 MB hard drive from it, hoping I can pull off some old files for him. I put it in my hard drive enclosure and hooked to my PB via firewire. The drives shows in Disk Utility, but it does not mount. I figured it would be formatted in HFS. If not what file system does it use? It there a program that will allow me to read it? The hard drive may be broken, but I'd like to try everything before I give up.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
The hard drive is most likely formatted in Mac OS Extended..... does it make startup noises? Run Classic, and then try to mount it.... if that doesn't work, I know there is a program out there that can help you... But sorry, I can't remember the name of it :)

good luck!

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
macEfan said:
The hard drive is most likely formatted in Mac OS Extended.....
That makes sense.

does it make startup noises?
It sounds like a normal hard drive, only louder. I can hear is spinning, but no clicks or anything.

Run Classic, and then try to mount it....
Can I run classic in OS X, or do I have to boot into classic? My machine doesn't boot into classic.

if that doesn't work, I know there is a program out there that can help you... But sorry, I can't remember the name of it :)
If you think of it, but remember me.

macEfan

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
grapes911 said:
That makes sense.

It sounds like a normal hard drive, only louder. I can hear is spinning, but no clicks or anything.

Can I run classic in OS X, or do I have to boot into classic? My machine doesn't boot into classic.

If you think of it, but remember me.

yes, you can run classic in OS X... go into system preferences, then click on "Classic" and press start. In a couple on minites classic will be started up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.