Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

japat1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2014
Central Ohio
My business is stuck on High Sierra due to dependence on Pages 4.3. (Pages 4.3 with Mojave is too unstable.) I need the best performance possible. I currently use iMac 2017 4.2 I7. Can anyone tell me whether the 2017 iMac Pro 3.2 8-core would be faster, i.e. would the 32-bit Pages benefit from additional cores and the Xeon processor? And if so, would the 3.0 10-core be better still? Thanks.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
I need the best performance possible. I currently use iMac 2017 4.2 I7. Can anyone tell me whether the 2017 iMac Pro 3.2 8-core would be faster, i.e. would the 32-bit Pages benefit from additional cores and the Xeon processor? And if so, would the 3.0 10-core be better still?
"Real world" performance of an application is not necessarily related to processor cores. What is the CPU utilization when you are at the most demanding activity in your workflow? How much ram does your current 2017 iMac have installed? How much RAM does Pages consume when you are at the most demanding activity in your workflow? Are your Pages files stored on an internal or external drive? Are these drives SSD or HDD?

japat1

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 23, 2014
Central Ohio
Typically the activity monitor shows between 100-150% CPU with up to 14 threads. I have 32gb RAM, with a maximum used of about 16gb. Swap is not being used. Files are on an internal SSD.

Bigwaff

Contributor
Sep 20, 2013
Typically the activity monitor shows between 100-150% CPU with up to 14 threads.
Your iMac has a quad-core processor which probably shows as "8-cores" (hyper-threads) in Activity Monitor. 100% is one hyper-thread "core" so Pages is only using 1.5 hyper-thread "cores" out of "8-cores". Seems to me you won't benefit from more cores but rather faster single core. Locate your iMac and iMac Pro in this chart. You want the fastest single-core performer. I don't think you are going to find much of a difference.

Reactions: japat1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.