Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
England
Just posting this as a warning from my experience with this first beta. Before anyone has a go, I know it is a beta. My advice is to wait for Beta 2.

Release notes state some iMacs with 3TB Fusion drives will not work with this seed. Mine works but has slowed to a crawl. As I've converted to APFS I can't go back easily so I'll update this if future betas improve performance.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wildhope

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
England
It's horrendous on my MacBook Pro. Takes forever to do anything. Regret updating now. Back to Sierra I go.

Yep I'll just about be able to load beta 2 through it, it's actually the worst performance I've seen in a long time on any machine and this is on an i7 2013 machine, well within the minimum specs.

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
England
They've got debug switched on so it won't be optimized for performance. Don't use it for anything except testing the software you're developing for it.

Yeah this isn't the kind of performance drop difference with debug on/off - this is bad and I hope it will be resolved in beta 2. This is my development machine but as bbfc says, it's unusable for that!

EDIT: For the record on my MBA 2013 this runs perfectly.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbfc

xflashx

macrumors regular
Aug 12, 2016
I installed and used every beta since Mountain Lion, but this beta is the worst I've ever seen. The OS takes forever to boot up, and after you logged in it even has to load the task bar for a good 15 seconds. Everything is just s l o w.
Back to El Capitan.

Reactions: bbfc and skwood

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Yeah this isn't the kind of performance drop difference with debug on/off - this is bad and I hope it will be resolved in beta 2. This is my development machine but as bbfc says, it's unusable for that!

This is exactly how Sierra early development builds were. Lots of debug, no optimizations, etc., so that they have thoroughly detailed spindumps.

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
England
This is exactly how Sierra early development builds were. Lots of debug, no optimizations, etc., so that they have thoroughly detailed spindumps.

Just confusing because my MBA runs it smoothly. I don't doubt you are right though, I look forward to providing them lots of lovely data so it can speed up later.

dogslobber

macrumors 601
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
I installed and used every beta since Mountain Lion, but this beta is the worst I've ever seen. The OS takes forever to boot up, and after you logged in it even has to load the task bar for a good 15 seconds. Everything is just s l o w.
Back to El Capitan.

I left El Cap once 10.12.4 hit me between the legs. The early pain of Sierra is mostly gone.
[doublepost=1496762483][/doublepost]
Just confusing because my MBA runs it smoothly. I don't doubt you are right though, I look forward to providing them lots of lovely data so it can speed up later.

My 2010 MBA creeks along with it which is why I say it reminds me of Sierra as I used this same machine to test out Sierra alphas.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
Running it on a late 2013 13" MBPr and it installed fine, runs perfectly smooth. It might be that older Macs are getting a bit old at this point and aren't really optimized for anymore. SSD's also seem to be a big factor, since most people who are having issues have HDD's or Fusion drives.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
The first Sierra beta wasn't like this on my 2011 MBP. High Sierra is something else - the only thing 'high' about it is my memory pressure graph! :D
[doublepost=1496765638][/doublepost]
Running it on a late 2013 13" MBPr and it installed fine, runs perfectly smooth. It might be that older Macs are getting a bit old at this point and aren't really optimized for anymore. SSD's also seem to be a big factor, since most people who are having issues have HDD's or Fusion drives.
There is no reason it shouldn't run fine on non-SSD Macs. Sierra runs fine, as it did during its development betas. I just don't understand what is happening and why its so unresponsive. Hoping beta 2 will resolve this.

Reactions: xflashx

fanfzero

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2016
I'm using it on my 2014 MBA, worse than Sierra, but still usable, applications take more time to boot and there are some lags on preferences menu.

gsmornot

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2014
Using 10.13 at the moment and its fine. I didn't even think about my Fusion drive until now. I'm on a 2011 Mini with a "homemade" Fusion drive setup. Anything I should check to make sure its fine other than to say everything seems ok? I wonder if there is a way at this point to split the drives, run 10.13 on just my SSD and keep the spinning drive internal for a second disk. I dont need but half of my SSD space at the moment with most things in the cloud.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
They do this every year. They finally get the bugs out of the current OS and things start running smoothly. Then BAM, they start over from scratch it seems and introduce a million problems and a sluggish system. WHY? Why not take the now polished Sierra and simply keep improving it? Even with the new file system. They already do that with the point releases. I could maybe understand if they completely rewrote the OS and it was a major revamping, but this? It's not logical and it simply causes many more problems than it ever solves, at least through the first few final revs. sigh...

LewisChapman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2015
They do this every year. They finally get the bugs out of the current OS and things start running smoothly. Then BAM, they start over from scratch it seems and introduce a million problems and a sluggish system. WHY? Why not take the now polished Sierra and simply keep improving it? Even with the new file system. They already do that with the point releases. I could maybe understand if they completely rewrote the OS and it was a major revamping, but this? It's not logical and it simply causes many more problems than it ever solves, at least through the first few final revs. sigh...

I believe it’s just to do with the basic fundamentals of code and software. Dependencies exist across software so when features are added other code breaks or needs to be adapted to work with the new code and features.

Maybe a bit like having a swimming pool installed in your back garden - there’s going to be some mud and bit of mess during the installation because a lot of soil and garden features need to be moved about.

I guess the idea is that to the casual user who doesn’t have interest in betas and DP’s, they get new final release software in the Fall which does exactly what you say, adds new stable features to their already stable OS.

Last edited:
Reactions: bbfc

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Because this is why we have development and public betas. So these bugs are found and squashed before the public release.

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 8, 2013
England
FYI: I had my user account totally disappear during a session. Woke the iMac and there was no account there to login to. Persisted after reboot. Had to reboot into single user mode, delete the first setup check file, reboot and re-run the initial setup. I used the same short username as before so got my files and settings back.

Since this ironically, the performance has improved vastly.

cpenner

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2013
The performance on my late 2012 iMac has been pretty bad. I think it's the new file system having some issues with the Fusion Drives. I can't save images off the internet as it says I'm out of disk space, which Finder clearly shows I'm not. Everything else is the slowest I've ever seen it. I updated an app from the Mac App Store today and it took 45 minutes to install roughly 300MB, and I've got a pretty quick machine and fast internet too. Trying to open new programs also brings the machine to its knees. Hopefully beta 2 comes out soon.

cpenner

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2013
Hopefully beta 2 will drop soon and it'll fix iMac fusion drive issues.

This is like the longest I can remember between beta 1 and beta 2 for macOS or iOS. Usually the first few betas happen fairly quickly to address bugs...

ryxn

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2017
Based on the general experiences of folks here, I would not recommend installing APFS on anyone using an apple-designed fusion drive. It seems people who have made their own fusion drive solutions have better results, but for those who purchased machines with fusion drives built-in, it either slows the machines or fails to install completely.

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
… for those who purchased machines with fusion drives built-in, it either slows the machines or …

I don't have the resources (sorry) to test Apple Fusion Drive or comparable setups, but with hard disk drives on USB 2.0 I found that 17A264c boot times were more than twice as long with APFS than with HFS Plus.

So – boot times aside – I should not expect great performance from any rotational media that's given to APFS with 17A264c.

Reactions: bedouin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.