Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
I have a mid 2011 iMac that boots from the HDD. I am wanting to upgrade, but I was wondering how High Sierra performed on spinning disks. Does anyone have any experience?

Also, does anyone have any experience with converting a boot HDD to APFS. If so how was the performance? I know Apple doesn’t automatically convert. The only reason I can see not to is performance. But what about APFS would make it less performant on a HDD?

neliason

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 1, 2015
Just to follow up I upgraded. It took forever. But, once upgraded everything seems fine. I haven’t found performance to be an issue. In fact some things seem to perform better. There are definitely some bugs. But I’m happy I upgraded.

Reactions: LarryJoe33

LarryJoe33

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2017
Boston
Only problem or difference, (depends how you look at it) is my boot time has doubled...
From memory, Sierra booted a little faster. I would say High Sierra takes maybe 30 seconds more. I don't reboot all that much. Nothing I can't live with. Not to mention, it's still pretty fast as compared to the spinner HDD days.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
My 2010 iMac with 2 TB hard drive (clean install) takes 50 s to boot High Sierra off APFS.
My 2017 iMac with 1 TB SSD (upgraded from Sierra) takes 23 s to boot High Sierra off APFS.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.