Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rekan_

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2015
London, UK
Hello, I have got a Macbook Pro 13" (2012) and I have seen many threads on performance with 10.11 with retina, but hardly on non-retina.

So I decided to install OS X 10.11 on my mac as many people said it is fast enough.
So far, (12hr usage), the battery life is as good as Yosemite, the performance... 10/10.
Every app loads in at least one second, surprising as this is an 3 year old mac.

Btw: With my SSD (external) it is blazing fast. This is something that I have anticipated in OS X for many years.

culb0743

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2013
I would assume you would see an improvement with that hardware, perhaps even greater so than similar Macs with Retina Displays. The lower PPI of the panels used in MacBooks of your vintage should be in theory, less taxing on system resources than the higher PPI panels of its Retina Display-equipped counterparts (Ivy Bridge/SATA); also, factor in that your particular model supports the Metal framework. So again, in theory, you should see more of an improvement than a late 2012 13" rMBP, but less of performance boost than say a 2014-2015 13" rMBP. From what I've heard so far, Macs much older than yours have benefited greatly moving from Yosemite to El Capitan; I'll wager you'll be pleased with the update.

Last edited:

apoenq

macrumors member
May 21, 2015
thanks for starting this thread. would like to see cMbp performance with this new OS X. Can I confirm that cMbp 2012 13" (Intel HD4000) can reap the benefit of Metal framework in real life performance? I did research that indeed HD4000 can support Metal but am not sure how about the real life benefit of this, let's say some video/photo editing or maybe playing old games (GW2 and TF2 using Mac OS client)..?

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
thanks for starting this thread. would like to see cMbp performance with this new OS X. Can I confirm that cMbp 2012 13" (Intel HD4000) can reap the benefit of Metal framework in real life performance? I did research that indeed HD4000 can support Metal but am not sure how about the real life benefit of this, let's say some video/photo editing or maybe playing old games (GW2 and TF2 using Mac OS client)..?

I have that mac and can say that the animations and fluidity is a lot better than Yosemite. Haven't gamed though.

Rekan_

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 11, 2015
London, UK
I personally am going to wait for the public release/beta to see is metal is good with HD4000. As this is only DP1, we cannot expect a huge difference.

I would assume you would see an improvement with that hardware, perhaps even greater so than similar Macs with Retina Displays. The lower PPI of the panels used in MacBooks of your vintage should be in theory, less taxing on system resources than the higher PPI panels of its Retina Display-equipped counterparts (Ivy Bridge/SATA); also, factor in that your particular model supports the Metal framework. So again, in theory, you should see more of an improvement than a late 2012 13" rMBP, but less of performance boost than say a 2014-2015 13" rMBP. From what I've heard so far, Macs much older than yours have benefited greatly moving from Yosemite to El Capitan; I'll wager you'll be pleased with the update.

I am pleased to actually find that Apple do care of their old products and can still update them. With Apple going like this at the moment, I can see myself keeping this Mac for another few years.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.