Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
The business that shares the building with us decided to clean out the basement, and during the event I came across a box with some computer epuipment. When I was told to take what you want I grabed the box and brought it home found a Performa 405 with a Performa monitor and a StyleWriter printer. the only thing missing was a keyboard and mouse but after digging one out I found trhe machine works just fine. It has OS 7.1 installed but only has 4mb of RAM!! can anyone help out with a few specs as to how much RAM I can get for it or how far can I push the OS. I was thinking I could let my 12 year old daughter use it for homework, printing from Word would be perfect for her.

Thanks

musicpyrite

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Cape Cod
My school was giving away a Preforma 400, that I have right now, perfectly working and someting like 10 MB RAM, runs great I love it.

According to Mactracker a Preforma 405 has a minimum OS of 7.0.1 and a maximum OS of 7.5.5. It has a maximum ammount of RAM at 10 MB. 80 or 120 MB HD. It also had a 16 MHz processor (68030).

My calculator has a *cough*20 MHz*cough* processor. :D :cool: (overclocked)

Sparky's

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 11, 2004
Thanks for the input, I'm going to drag one of my smaller color monitors out of mothballs and see what I really have :D
Then set it up for my daughter to do her homework on and I'm set.

PS several months ago my boss cleaned out our attic and left a Quadra 650 on the dock to be trashed :eek: :eek: the nerve!!! The hard drive was shot but I can replace that with no problem. I've already been able to boot from an external HD. so I'm happy.

vannote

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2003
NYC
Sparky's said:
The business that shares the building with us decided to clean out the basement

One of my neighbors was cleaning out his basement storage in our building this weekend. I was out on the porch when I noticed a bunch of Macs on the curb. I couldn't resist.

I ended up with 1 Power Macintosh 8100/100 w/CD caddies, 1 Power Macintosh 5200/75 LC ( Nice, and I thought it was just a monitor until I got a good look at it later in the evening. ), and 2 Macintosh Performa 6200 CD, 2 Multi-scan 15 displays and 6 Keyboard, Mice, plus other miscellany.

I have managed to bring most of them back to life. One of the 6200CD still needs a little TLC though.

For specs on your 405, you check out the following to see how far you can push it.

Macintosh Performa 405 Specs

Regards

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i found an a huge stack of lc's which i plundered for HD's, ram and l2 cache.

fanding old pc's is allot easyer and you can get ram HD's power supplys and the odd p4/p3 athalon xp cpu

Hector said:
i found an a huge stack of lc's which i plundered for HD's, ram and l2 cache.

fanding old pc's is allot easyer and you can get ram HD's power supplys and the odd p4/p3 athalon xp cpu

It seems like we all have a stack of LC's, I have a good 40 to 50 of them, some works and some not. I need to donatie the LC shortly, my proble is monitors and kbds and mice...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.