Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Metalmorphed

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2010
Hi,

Whenever I connect my iPad to my mac itunes backs up it's current state. This is great and I want to keep it this way. Though it overrides the previous backup, which is ok most of the time. Though now I want to keep my current state, permanently.
So is there a way to select the current backup and keep it saved permanently, without it being overridden next backup?
Edit: Is it also possible to keep iOS 6.1.2 saved somewhere (even after 6.1.3 is released), so I can try out 6.1.3 but can then always go back to 6.1.2 for jailbreaking?

Thanks a lot,
-Pablo

FoxFifth

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
The following link to Apple Support has a section titled "Where iTunes backups are stored on your computer" which gives the location (on a Mac) of "~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/"

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4946

To find that, first open Finder then use the key combination Shift+Command+G and then enter or copy and paste in ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/

You can backup those files to and external drive or another location if you want to keep an older backup.

darricksailo

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
No at the moment and probably maybe never. Once apple stops signing iOS 6.1.2, you will not be able to restore back to it

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Yes just browse to that location and rename the folder with the long numbers inside the MobileSync\Backup folder - Add the date to the end or something (43f8b3a2cb4abc89cad56f748bf9faaaaabbchhe994995-3.3.2013 ) The backup will recreate a new folder/backup next time. You can do this as much as you want to keep old backups. You will see them all listed in the iTunes preferences box too!

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
If you use Time Machine, it will backup every hour and so every time you backup your phone, the backup will be backed up in Time Machine. You can then just restore the folder for a particular date and time than you want to go back to.

You can restore to any point as long as you have the backup to go back to. Apple signing iOS versions doesn't have anything to do with this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.