Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shetlandshaun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2017
El Lay
Hello,

Forgive me if I am in the wrong space to post but just trying to figure out a small issue i have whilst trying to run a command patch file I have.

Basically have some software that requires me to run a patch file first but when i do I keep getting the same error code saying i dont have permission. I go into 'get info' and unlock the file set permissions to all read and write and enter password but still nothing runs. From what Ive read when i enter my password a action pop up menu should show up and say 'apply to enclosed files' but that never shows and I just seem to be stuck in an endless loop. Included a couple screenshots with the error codes and showing my permissions are all open. Any ideas for a noob???

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 9.16.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 9.16.07 PM.png
    117.3 KB · Views: 138
  • Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 5.58.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-01-13 at 5.58.49 PM.png
    42.1 KB · Views: 115

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
in the patch there are lines that say sudo, when sudo runs it will prompt for the password of the admin account, I suspect why that is failing.

If the patch is called myPatch.sh, for example, the patch should be run as >sudo myPatch.sh
when you press enter, the the password is entered at that time.

So, if you are running from command line, and can edit the patch remove the sudos from the patch and launch patch from terminal.

Now, if this patch is part of another launcher and there are different instructions ... then you got me ... ;-)

Reactions: shetlandshaun

shetlandshaun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2017
El Lay
in the patch there are lines that say sudo, when sudo runs it will prompt for the password of the admin account, I suspect why that is failing.

If the patch is called myPatch.sh, for example, the patch should be run as >sudo myPatch.sh
when you press enter, the the password is entered at that time.

So, if you are running from command line, and can edit the patch remove the sudos from the patch and launch patch from terminal.

Now, if this patch is part of another launcher and there are different instructions ... then you got me ... ;-)

Thanks so much for the info I shall give it a shot though this kinda thing is out of my wheel house your directions seem pretty straight forward so I'll give it a go. Many thanks

shetlandshaun

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 13, 2017
El Lay
apparently adding chmod +x to the patch file in terminal solved whatever my issue was and everything running smooth now. thanks again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.