Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Citroenfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2024
Just a note - Used OCLP to upgrade my mid 2012 Mac Pro to Big Sur. While it took a bit of time and a couple of manual re-boots all went fairly seamlessly. However the 'upgrade' changed all of the permissions with attached HD's - internal and external. So took a bit of time to reset. For some unknown reason I lost the last 3 weeks worth of Time Machine BU's. OTOH I did get a 'graphic' asking if I wanted a 'tour' of my NEW MAC PRO. That had me smiling for the rest of the day.

Citroenfan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 5, 2024
thats why your supposed to pull out any unessasary hardware when installing...bare minimum, and after its installed re-insert it all
I did - only drive in the unit was my 1TB SSD boot drive. And I had back up the system, using 10.13.6 just prior to running Open Core. Not a big deal, just curious. As I said, after the installation of Big Sur, all the reinserted and external drives had permissions altered. Was not consistent, however. On the + side, installation of Big Sur did solve a major problem with my VPN software. That alone was well worth the time spent. Going to run it like this for a while and go to Sonoma later.

Reactions: MrScratchHook

MrScratchHook

macrumors regular
Dec 17, 2022
United States
I did - only drive in the unit was my 1TB SSD boot drive. And I had back up the system, using 10.13.6 just prior to running Open Core. Not a big deal, just curious. As I said, after the installation of Big Sur, all the reinserted and external drives had permissions altered. Was not consistent, however. On the + side, installation of Big Sur did solve a major problem with my VPN software. That alone was well worth the time spent. Going to run it like this for a while and go to Sonoma later.
cool... these things happen, as long as you can work out the kinks...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.