Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
Hello all, hopefully a quick fix to an irritating problem...

My DP 450 running 10.3.2 with all the swarm of updates in the past few days will not start Personal File Sharing on startup.

It does maintain Windows Sharing, Remote Login, FTP Access, Apple Remote Desktop, and Printer Sharing.

I would assume that it's some preference somewhere, I found this:

com.apple.AppleFileServer.plist

But deleting it does not work, upon restart it's still off... I don't restart often, but I do a lot of remote work with this machine, so it's annoying if it is off.

Also, is it possible to start it from Terminal remotely?

Thanks,
cpjakes

awulf

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2002
South Australia
There is the AFP log which is located here:
/Library/Logs/AppleFileService/AppleFileServiceError.log

Also you can start AFP from the terminal (login as root through SSH from the remote computer) And type:
AppleFileServer

To stop the AppleFileServer type:
killall AppleFileServer

cpjakes

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 15, 2003
Buffalo, NY
awulf, thanks for the Terminal information... Hopefully I'll remember it when I need it.

I get a couple of things in the log, a bunch of AppleTalk not being active messages and a bunch of AppleTalk error messages. It almost seems like it's trying to load Apple File Server before AppleTalk and not loading because AppleTalk isn't ready. Does this seem strange?

awulf

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2002
South Australia
Under the Network Preferences there is an option to 'Make AppleTalk Active', maybe it is un-ticked.

There is also another tick box for AppleTalk under; Applications->Utilities->Directory Access
Not sure what this does though.

I have all my boxes ticked and I have no error messages.

But AppleTalk is the legacy protocol for access to older Machines, its AFP now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.