Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

efo

macrumors newbie
Oct 19, 2017
If you are waiting on the connection to happen automatically that is not working in the betas. You will need to turn hotspot on, look for the wifi name and select it on your iPad.
Hi!
Yes I have the same problem.. using my iPhone as a base/router then sharing Wi-Fi by tethering to my iPad Pro 12 doesn’t work by Wi-Fi but tethering a Windows computer to my iPhone works (iPhone as base/router) without problems. It seems to be iPad issue or iOS to iOS issue... (haven’t tested in detail though)

gustavoauad

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2017
I was getting trouble connecting my iPad Pro to my iPhone 7 Plus personal hotspot (both devices on 11.0.3). I tried to connect my macbook to the same hotspot and had no problem doing it. That way I discovered that the problem was in iPad connection to the hotspot. I solved the problem by resetting my network settings on iPad.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
I was getting trouble connecting my iPad Pro to my iPhone 7 Plus personal hotspot (both devices on 11.0.3). I tried to connect my macbook to the same hotspot and had no problem doing it. That way I discovered that the problem was in iPad connection to the hotspot. I solved the problem by resetting my network settings on iPad.

Funny...I just did the same thing. It would usually connect okay initially, but often would disconnect in the middle of browsing. I previously reset network settings and signed out of and into iCloud on both iPad and iPhone. Hoping that resetting the network settings fixes this issue.

RodoBobJon

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2017
I had this same issue. Personal Hotspot and Universal Clipboard were not working between my iPhone and iPad though, strangely, handoff was working. Signing out of iCloud and back in on my iPad fixed the issue for me.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
The only way I can get it to work is if I get my phone out and open the personal hotspot screen in settings. It’s already on, I just open it.

It’s really annoying.

GDMcG

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2008
I’m also having issues. iOS 11.1.2 on both an iPhone X and iPad Pro 9.7 inch. Manually turning on the personal hotspot allows me to connect the iPad to the iPhone via WiFi. However, even after resetting network settings on both devices I still cannot activate Instant Hotspot at all. I was at least “seeing” the iPhone available under WiFi on the iPad at some earlier point but attempting to connect using Instant Hotspot resulted in getting an error message along the lines of “couldn’t activate remote Hotspot”. Not sure what is going on. Hopefully 11.2 will address.

Pehr F

macrumors newbie
Dec 5, 2017
Hi there. Anyone having issues with iOS 11 personal hotspot? I can't seem to link my iPhone 7 Plus (iOS 11 PB4) and iPad Air 2 (iOS 11 PB4) consistently for personal hotspot using WiFi. I can pair them via Bluetooth, but it doesn't seem to work properly. Netflix downloads time out, and surfing doesn't work on the iPad.

I'm wondering if anyone else has this problem.
[doublepost=1512469462][/doublepost]Had the same issue on my iPad Pro (iOS 11.2B) , seems that the APN settings had been removed.
Easy to fix, just check what the settings should be with your carrier, and enter them in Settings -> Mobile Data -> Mobile Data Options -> APN Settings. Make sure that you fill in all three setting blocks (Mobile Data, LTE Setup, and Personal Hotspot).
DONE!

Last edited:

Hoek_NL

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2017
Almere Netherlands
Yes fixed it for me too (iOS 11.2.1 on both iPad mini and iPhone7S), only logged out of iPad account, it removes all iCloud stuff and didn't dare do this on the 128GB iPhone, would take hours to restore. But log out on iPad side only did fix the personal hotspot connection issue. Thnx

Reactions: hosico

hosico

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2018
I also had the exact same problem, and it was fixed after I logged out and back in both my devices (iPhone 6s and iPad Air 2).

NotSafeForWork

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2015
I also had the exact same problem, and it was fixed after I logged out and back in both my devices (iPhone 6s and iPad Air 2).

Old thread but related question - can you get the iPad to automatically join the hotspot without any manual steps? I have an iPad in my car that I want to get online as soon as I get in with my phone in my pocket versus paying $10/month for an additional device on AT&T.

SoN1NjA

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2016
Old thread but related question - can you get the iPad to automatically join the hotspot without any manual steps? I have an iPad in my car that I want to get online as soon as I get in with my phone in my pocket versus paying $10/month for an additional device on AT&T.
I’ve never had my devices automatically connect when I’m near them, but you can always quickly go in the menus and get in

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.