Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Allograft

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
My 2020 iPad Pro 11 is now showing up as "iPad (2)" in the personal hotspots for 2019 MBP 16 recently upgraded directly to 12.1 (I skipped 12.0). It's annoying. Yes, iPad's name in General-About is just iPad, not iPad (2).

So, I have tried to 1) disable and remove WiFi adapter in Mac network settings, restart, and re-add Wifi
2) To go into Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration and delete the 5 networking files on Mac
3) reset network settings on iPad Pro.

Still shows as iPad (2) after all that. On my wife's 2021 MBA, it shows up as just iPad, which is what I want.

Thoughts on how to restore my sense of inner peace with the 2020 MBP situation?

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
This has happened to me! I think there is bug in network stack! This happened to be back in 10.6 days too when I first got my first iPad! There is no worry! Just open System Preferences->Network, Advanced then look at the top of the pane for the pull down of 'Location'! In that pull down to 'Edit ..." and create a custom name you want as one word! Don't worry it will act as custom location Automatic is and acts the same! Then rejoin your wireless network and if you take it to anywhere else an make a new location name for that new location!

Allograft

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Interesting, I solved the issue by the painful process of logging out of iCloud on the iPad and then logging back in.

Allograft

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Interesting, I solved the issue by the painful process of logging out of iCloud on the iPad and then logging back in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.