Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
I'm having a little bit of an issue with my Mac Pro. I have been trying to hook it up to my Belkin router via ethernet without success. I have plugged the cable into both of the Mac Pro's LAN ports, but neither one has been able to successfully connect. In the Network System Preferences, it displays the message about having "a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to Internet" message.

However, every other machine I hook up to this cable gets on the net just fine. If I connect the Mac Pro directly to my cable modem, it gets on the net just fine. :confused: So both the router and the Mac Pro's ethernet work, just not together.

I talked to Apple support a couple weeks back, and the guy didn't know what was up. He suggested it was a router problem -- but again, anything else I hook up to this cable (my old Power Mac, MBP, 360) works like a charm.

Everything works fine connecting with Airport, so it's not a live-or-die situation right now. Just would like to see if anyone else has had this issue and resolved it.

stupka

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2006
I have the same problem...

Same problem here... I can connect any of our computers to any of the ports of our DSL router, and they all work fine, but my Power Mac does not pick up an IP address when connected to any of the ports of the routwer... I had read other forums which say that configuring everything manually works, tried that now and although I set IP address, gateway, DNS, etc. it's not working... Sounds like a hardware problem with our ethernet card to me?

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
Stupka, have you tried directly connecting your Power Mac to your broadband modem? Doing that, I was able to get an IP address and net access.

Unfortunately, that spelled the end of my support phone call... the technician just assumed I must have a faulty router (even though, as I said, I was able to hook another computer up to it with no problems).

fedguy

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2006
Don't you have to set up the network prefs to DHCP?

I just added a wireless router and can't use PPPoE anymore. It's built in on the 2 Wire Router/dsl modem

Macintosh Sauce

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2006
USA
Don't you have to set up the network prefs to DHCP?

I just added a wireless router and can't use PPPoE anymore. It's built in on the 2 Wire Router/dsl modem
You most likely have to enable the following:

WAN > Connection Type

Select your connection type:
Dynamic
A Dynamic type of connection is the most common. If you use a cable modem, then most likely you will have a dynamic connection. If you have a cable modem or you are not sure of your connection type, use this.

Static
A Static IP address connection type is less common than others. Use this selection only if your ISP gave you an IP address that never changes.

PPPoE (SET THIS TO PPPoE!)
If you use a DSL modem and/or your ISP gave you a User Name and Password, then your connection type is PPPoE. Use this connection type.

PPTP
[European Countries Only]. This type of connection is most common in European countries. If your ISP has specifically told you that you use PPTP and has supplied you with the proper PPTP information, then use this option.
Telstra BigPond
[Australia Only] Users of Telstra BigPond Cable or DSL will use this option to configure the connection.

And also:

LAN > LAN settings

You can make changes to the Local Area Network (LAN) here. For changes to take effect, you must press the "Apply Changes" button at the bottom of the screen.

IP Address > . . .
More Info

Subnet Mask > . . .
More Info

DHCP server > On Off (SET DHCP SERVER TO ON!)
The DHCP server function makes setting up a network very easy by assigning IP addresses to each computer on the network. It is not necessary to make any changes here. More Info

IP Pool Starting Address > . . .
IP Pool Ending Address > . . .

Lease Time >
The length of time the DHCP server will reserve the IP address for each computer.

Local Domain Name >
(Optional)
A feature that lets you assign a name to your network. More Info

apple_iBoy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 28, 2003
Philadelphia, PA
This morning, my Comcast cable internet was out for a little while. Members of the Roberts family (Comcast owners) live on our block, so I saw a Comcast repair van pull up rather quickly!

But while the internet was out, my Mac Pro's ethernet 1 port had a green light in the Network System Preferences. As soon as the cable guy fixed the internet and the modem was once again able to connect, the Network Systems Prefs showed turned yellow for ethernet 1 (saying it had a self-assigned IP address, yada yada)

Weird or not?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.