Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
This has worked for me since you could start searching your photos. I can search dog, cat and bear and I find photos and videos. So should definitely work in iOS 12 as well.

Reactions: RudySnow

sevenseconds

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2013
This has worked for me since you could start searching your photos. I can search dog, cat and bear and I find photos and videos. So should definitely work in iOS 12 as well.

You can search for generic cats and dogs but you can’t search for your personal cats and dogs. In other words, Google Photos allows you to have a contact card for your animal and then recognize that specific animal when it appears in Photos. Was hoping Apple would implement this - seems like a trivial thing to do since Photos can recognize people

Reactions: acorntoy

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
I added a face entry for my dog on macOS (allows you to manually add a face without having to wait for scans) but I don‘t think it suggests the face in other pictures of my dog.

I did get a „Four-legged friends“ memory a few days ago though with just my dog in it. Although I think that‘s just a coincidence because I don‘t think I have any pictures of other dogs.

Reactions: sevenseconds

TheSkywalker77

macrumors 68030
Sep 9, 2017
While I don't think you can search for your pet's name, you can search dog, cat, bird, etc and pictures of the specific animal should show up. I might try adding my dog and cat's names to the faces section and see what happens though. :eek:

sevenseconds

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 18, 2013
I added a face entry for my dog on macOS (allows you to manually add a face without having to wait for scans) but I don‘t think it suggests the face in other pictures of my dog.

I did get a „Four-legged friends“ memory a few days ago though with just my dog in it. Although I think that‘s just a coincidence because I don‘t think I have any pictures of other dogs.

Alright think that settles it. Photos has everything I want from Google Photos except for this. Thanks for testing it out!

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
As much as I like this feature it does have some amusing false positives. My cat shows up in a search for dog quite a few times and I have a couple of weird ones when searching for cat.

This is a dog, apparently

2BBB04CC-371E-4400-8B9F-0542F89D08C9.jpeg

This video apparently shows a cat (this is just a screenshot, but I assure you nothing cat-like appears later)

01BFEC3E-DE69-4CE5-9CB9-E3219BA1D42D.jpeg

I’m nitpicking a bit. These are exceptions, this is all done on device and I know they’re working on the ML stuff.

j-a-x

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2005
Houston, Texas
I tried searching for “dog” in photos and sure enough there are a few photos of my cat. One of them shows up under the keyword “Newfoundland dog” which I find particularly funny.

5946ff0a33362d95b09b4bb6dc4a334c.jpg

high3r

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2015
Hungary
It's been a feature since iOS 11. You can even search for specific breeds. For e.g retriever correctly list photos of my beautiful golden retriever. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.