Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which option?

• MacBook Pro 16" Base Model

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • MacBook Pro 16" Upper Model

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • MacBook Pro 14" + eGPU

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

mokeys_forehead

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2020
I’m looking at buying a new MacBook, and I can’t decide between getting a 16” MBP now or waiting for the rumoured 14” MBP + eGPU. I’ll outline some background information below:

Current setup:
21” iMac (Late 2012)
, base model (2.7 GHz quad-core [I5-3330S], 8 GB, 1TB Fusion, GT640M 512 MB)
13” MacBook Pro (Mid-2014), base model (2.6 GHz dual-core [I5-4278U], 8 GB, 128 GB, Integrated GPU)

I originally bought the iMac as my first Mac a few years before first going to university. Upon my arrival at university, it was clear I needed something that I could take into lectures and labs, so I bought the MBP. This combination has been fine up until a few years ago, when the iMac started to show its age. Since then, it’s mostly been used in target display mode as an extension of the MBP. I struggle with only 128 GB of storage on my MBP, and it just about gets the job done with more intensive tasks (but does sometimes run in to issues).

Use Case:
I’m a PhD student in Planetary Science. I currently use my MacBook for:
  • General MS office work, including writing academic papers, reports, reading PDFs, Mendeley, making presentations, spreadsheets etc.
  • Very light work in QGIS (I have a powerful PC in my work office that runs ArcGIS which I use predominantly for my work, but the ability to do similar stuff on QGIS at home would be nice), and basic work in Google Earth Pro.
  • Using statistical software such as R Studio and (extremely basic) MATLAB.
  • Creation of posters for conferences in CorelDRAW/Illustrator.
Outside of work, I use my MBP for very light casual gaming – e.g. World of Warcraft, Minecraft; and other media consumption, e.g. videos, music, photos. The MacBook does not leave the house much, but it does need to be able to do so if I have a presentation/need to work somewhere else.

The Problem:
It’s clear that I need a portable Mac, and that it needs enough power to handle the aforementioned tasks. I am not sure whether to splash out on a 16” for the improved screen real-estate, graphical performance, future-proofing, or wait for the 14” and attach an eGPU for portability’s sake. My current setup is getting extremely long in the tooth, and I’m having to work on it for 8+ hours a day due to COVID-19 so a machine sooner rather than later would be nice, but not essential. In terms of my budget, I’ve been slowly putting money aside for this for a while, and I’ve got enough to comfortably buy a base 16” (£2158 with the student discount), or, I am guessing, a mid-tier 14" + eGPU upon launch.

The Question:
Which option do you think best suits me, using the information provided above? 16” or wait + 14” + eGPU? There may be other options that I simply haven't considered, so let me know if you think of any!

Thanks for the help!

J

BGM

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2009
Amsterdam
From a personal perspective, flexibility trumps all for me. if you go for the 14", and eGPU you get that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.