Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ronen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
I want to buy the philips kit.my question only regards to setup and control in iOS device : iPhone x :
Can I only use Apple's HomeKit or the Philips APP or both ?
If i will use the Philips App then no need to use apple homekit and vice verse ..Or both ?
I don’t understand the connection between the philips app and apple’s HomeKit app
Who does what ?
Thanks

groovyf

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Halifax, UK
You can use both the Home app and Philips app. There *is* some interaction between them, for instance if you turn on the lights via the Hue app, the respective items in the Home app will show as on (and vice versa). There are more settings to play with in the Hue app to get them working as you like.
Obviously, the tie-in between the two allows control via Siri.
Go buy them!

Reactions: Donfor39 and ronen

RichardMZhlubb

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Washington, DC
I can control my Phillips Hue bulbs through the Hue app on my iPhone or, far more frequently, with my Echos. I’ve never even opened the Home app. It isn’t necessary.

Reactions: ronen

anfield11

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2007
Hope this is a fairly basic question, but wherever I search I can’t seem to get the answer.

If I set up Hue lights with the bridge, can the lights be turned on and off normally by anyone using the property via the normal light switches? Does this have any impact on controlling them remotely?

groovyf

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Halifax, UK
Yes, the lights can be turned on/off at the switches... the only downside to having them turned off at the switch is that it will stop you being able to control them remotely/via apps/Siri.
It's essentially like pulling the plug on them, and the apps will report them as "Not responding".
They'll need to be turned on at the switch again to be able to be controlled again.

In some cases, the Philips motion sensor may work best for you.
We have one in the bathroom (no windows) and it turns on the light as you walk through the bathroom door - then turns off after 10 mins of no motion detected.

CPTmom2wp

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
I want to buy the philips kit.my question only regards to setup and control in iOS device : iPhone x :
Can I only use Apple's HomeKit or the Philips APP or both ?
If i will use the Philips App then no need to use apple homekit and vice verse ..Or both ?
I don’t understand the connection between the philips app and apple’s HomeKit app
Who does what ?
Thanks

I do use both. The Philips App is great for the lights alone and as mentioned, can be a stand alone app. However, I have also added 2 Schlage Sense door locks and 2 HomePods, so need the Apple HomeKit to control those or coordinate with the lights. I originally just used the Philips app but when I switched over to HomeKit, the scheduling I set for the lights transferred over, which was nice. I also notice that when I add a bulb via one app, it automatically shows up on the other app as both coordinate through the bridge/HomePod.

Reactions: ronen

ronen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
Thank you all.
Is it true that software updates available only with Philips Hue App ? (not Apple's HomeKit)

ronen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
Yes, the lights can be turned on/off at the switches... the only downside to having them turned off at the switch is that it will stop you being able to control them remotely/via apps/Siri.
It's essentially like pulling the plug on them, and the apps will report them as "Not responding".
They'll need to be turned on at the switch again to be able to be controlled again.

We have one in the bathroom (no windows) and it turns on the light as you walk through the bathroom door - then turns off after 10 mins of no motion detected.
[doublepost=1523074007][/doublepost]Can I use the Hue Tap switch to turn Off and On Hue bulbs without disabling their ability to function as planned via the app and bridge?

Reactions: Donfor39

ronen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
Absolutely can, yes. I have a couple of Hue Dimmers and think the Tap works the same way.
Thanks.
Just to fully understand, If one or another bulb is turn On ( via the Bridge configuration) and now I’m turning Off these bulbs manually via the Tap , will these bulbs turn On again via the Bridge configuration next time?

ronen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2011
Yes, for sure. They all interact with each other correctly and the Home app/Hue app and Tap switch will all know what state a bulb is in no matter which thing turns it on or off.
Thank you very much.

Donfor39

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2012
Lanarkshire Scotland

Excuse my simple understanding, does your comment mean light switches have to be leafy on permanently if using remote/apps/siri.
I haven' t yet invested in Philips Hue though seriously considering starter bridge with maybe 2 or more ess-wall light bulbs.
Additional question -are the bulbs are almost 50 u.k. pounds each -what are the hours use or life of these bulbs is it weeks or months.

CPTmom2wp

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2014
Ohio
The plan at my house is to never have to replace my bulbs again....or for the foreseeable future, anyway;)

I use both apps, but mostly HomeKit b/c I like to control my lights using Siri, e.g., "Hey Siri, turn the bedroom lights to blue; Hey Siri, turn on the light in the hall; Hey Siri, turn the living room lights to 50%; Hey Siri, turn the kitchen lights up to 100%"

I also like the automations in HomeKit, including the Schlage Sense door locks which can be locked and unlocked, with the status shown in HomeKit.

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
That’s impressive use.
This this is my 2018 tech project@home
Philips hue or HomeKit which is best for UK 1 bedroom flat
Start 2 lights in living room this year
Then hall + bedroom 2019
I'm finding the combination of Homekit and Hue with the Hue bridge very good. I have a Hue bulb and Hue dimmer switch in almost every room. Most of the time Siri is used via the HomePods to control them, e.g. I've set a scene where I say "Hey Siri set cook on" and she turns on the lights in both the dining room and kitchen. The hall light comes on automatically at sunset and goes off at sunrise. My bedroom light wakes me in the morning. It's all done with the Apple Home App except the dimmer switches which are better and easier set up with the Philips Hue App, which is also used for software updates. There's another App I use, iConnectHue, that gives even greater control of the lights and switches.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.