Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrBTec

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2015
Glasgow
Hi all.

I'm smitten with my Hue kit and HomeKit toys just now. We are in the middle of a rebuild and i need some help regarding our kitchen cabinets. We want 3 downlighters under cabinets in the kitchen. You know, this type...

els-under-cabinet-lighting-lifestyles-348315956-1.jpg

Or the triangular version...

41ZeUZbdmBL._SX342_.jpg

Problem is that I have 3 Hue GU10 bulbs and they are obviously too big for these low profile fittings.

Is the answer to have them recessed inside the cabinets or are deeper under cabinet fittings available to fit the Hue GU10's? Ive tried looking to no avail. My current solution is to simply recess them using ceiling downlighter fittings like the one below then box in the fitting inside the unit?

Photo 3.png

Thanks in advance for taking the time to reply.

Lightstrips (I have 2 of those) are no use due to cabinet length.

Cheers

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Personally I would avoid putting the gu10's through the base like your describing. The housing will be prone to knocks and potential spills. Given gu10 are mains powered the risk is higher. As a side note depending on where you live running mains lighting in the manor your dis robing would be against code especially if it passes near a sink or stove.

Thanks for the reply, I have 2 of the Hue Plus 1600mm ones, but seems a waste to use them for this as they are better used elsewhere like in an over-bed unit and behind TV.

Need to decide the best way to house the GU10's.

Thanks again.:)

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Thanks for the reply, I have 2 of the Hue Plus 1600mm ones, but seems a waste to use them for this as they are better used elsewhere like in an over-bed unit and behind TV.

Need to decide the best way to house the GU10's.

Thanks again.:)
Do you know how short you can make the strips and does it require extra wires? I was going to buy these but looking at the box, I couldn't really get these questions answered. Sorry for going off topic but any advice on this would be great.

MrBTec

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2015
Glasgow
Personally I would avoid putting the gu10's through the base like your describing. The housing will be prone to knocks and potential spills. Given gu10 are mains powered the risk is higher. As a side note depending on where you live running mains lighting in the manor your dis robing would be against code especially if it passes near a sink or stove.

Didn't figure that having them in the cabinet might not get them signed off on 17th Edition here in UK. Not that it matters, but no liquids in those cupboards or in 'splash zone' but that wont matter.

If they are boxed in and cabling behind carcass, that may pass. Seen it done before. Either that or the bulbs are going back much to my dismay.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Didn't figure that having them in the cabinet might not get them signed off on 17th Edition here in UK. Not that it matters, but no liquids in those cupboards or in 'splash zone' but that wont matter.

If they are boxed in and cabling behind carcass, that may pass. Seen it done before. Either that or the bulbs are going back much to my dismay.
See I was thinking you were American 110v if your over here in the uk your golden! We're allowed to do what your after. Boxed in would be good from a safety aspect.

simonx314

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
I have the Philips Hue Lighstrip+ under my kitchen cabinets for counter lighting and it works great.

MrBTec

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 10, 2015
Glasgow
I have the Philips Hue Lighstrip+ under my kitchen cabinets for counter lighting and it works great.

Decided to drop the under unit lights and have 3 center island pendants with Hue bulbs and a couple of lightstrips round the island.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.