Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
Do we have an app for that yet?

I know the iPad is not a phone but then again these days I use my iPhone for 99% data and 1% phone calls..
Thinking maybe I could ditch the phone all together and just put my sim in an iPad instead..

Apple will most likely never ever put the "phone app" in the iPad,
but is there maybe another way to receive old-school phone calls on the ipad? :)

James.K.Polk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2015
It's true that T-Mobile assigned me a new phone number with a cellular mini 4. You could always try the Google Voice route and take your calls through Bluetooth or speakerphone. But it won't be as seamless as continuity.

AFEPPL

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2014
England
FaceTime will work if you only intend to speak with people on apple devices.

Last edited:

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
And if you want to call landlines or cellphones, you'll need to have purchased Skype minutes and lots of data.

Last edited:
Reactions: jeremiah256

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Get a Google Voice number and use Hangouts. You can use that number to call and text people. You can even do group chats and send/receive pics and videos, though I wouldn't recommend using it for videos because of the awful quality MMS provides.

But yeah, I use my iPad to make and receive calls all the time this way.

Reactions: MiniApple

zamboni52

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
Colorado Springs
When I'm home I usually have my iPad with me. I use continuity to take calls and messages from my iPhone. I make calls using my contacts or Siri...if I need to dial a number that is not in my contacts. Works awesome and the IPP 9.7 speakers are great for conference calls.

Last edited:

samadulator

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2016
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203032

If your iPad and iPhone are both signed into the same iCloud account and your carrier supports it, you can use the FaceTime app on the iPad to make and receive Wi-Fi Calls using the phone number from the primary device.

At the time of this writing, that means your iPhone must have AT&T, T-Mobile USA, or Sprint service in the United States.

Hope this helps! You can even make and receive two calls at the same time using your primary number.

Wahlstrm

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2013
Thanks for all the suggestions!

After checking them out it seems like geting a Skype-number is the only available and working solution, in my country..

Anyone who tried it? Good/bad?

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012

I'm in Canada, but frequently in Europe. I only buy data SIMS in Europe for both my iPhone and iPad - no minutes. I have Skype and have purchased minutes - you can do an in-App purchase of minutes - at least you can on iTunes.ca. I've used it to make calls back to Canada and calls within Europe, and it works just fine. I don't need a Skype number for incoming calls - if someone needs to speak to me they can either send me a text or an email and I'll call them back. I don't make a lot of calls so I can't say how good/bad it is under heavy usage.

On a side note - we were in Stockholm for the first time, this past spring, and enjoyed every moment of our 5-day stay.

Last edited:

DaniJoy

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2015
California
Sure you can make phone calls on your iPad have a 12.9 iPad Pro and I use it as my primary communications device to use Google hangouts with my old google voice number and I can send/receive text , picture text and I can make phone calls or receive phone calls. I haven't had a cell phone since 2010. The same methods worked on android tablet since then
[doublepost=1464821418][/doublepost]Any voip or sip connections will work

Reactions: baypharm

jeremiah256

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Southern California
Thanks for all the suggestions!

After checking them out it seems like geting a Skype-number is the only available and working solution, in my country..

I'm in Japan and have a Skype number 'located' in the same American city as my family, so it's a local call for them. I've been doing this for about 9 months now, and so far, no issues.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
The big negative point to use continuity calling between your iPhone and iPad is, by my experience, that it drain battery on your phone more than if you talk directly on your phone. Plus, it drains battery on the iPad of course.

Continuity calling is just good if you receive a call and your cellphone is not right there in your pocket and you want to answer the call and than continue it on your phone, but its not a good solution to make the iPad a "replacement" of your iPhone at home, in my opinion.

I just allow continuity on my iMac for calls.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
The big negative point to use continuity calling between your iPhone and iPad is, by my experience, that it drain battery on your phone more than if you talk directly on your phone. Plus, it drains battery on the iPad of course.

Continuity calling is just good if you receive a call and your cellphone is not right there in your pocket and you want to answer the call and than continue it on your phone, but its not a good solution to make the iPad a "replacement" of your iPhone at home, in my opinion.

I just allow continuity on my iMac for calls.

This is good info for people interested in continuity calling, but I believe OP wants to have no phone at all, and make "phone calls" using only iPad. So continuity calling isn't relevant to OP's question.

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
This is good info for people interested in continuity calling, but I believe OP wants to have no phone at all, and make "phone calls" using only iPad. So continuity calling isn't relevant to OP's question.
I know. I just say this because someone in this thread mention the continuity feature so I just shared my experience with this feature.

For calls only on the iPad, like others says, Skype is your best choice for this. I used Skype on my iPad for calls a couple of years ago and it worked relatively well.

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I'm a big user of wifi calling on my iPad and Mac, via my AT&T carrier account, and I do wish they'd make a standalone dialer app for these other devices. It's awesome having the ability to make and receive calls from other Apple devices and I agree with other posters who've noted how great speakerphone calling works on the iPad's speakers. However, I think it'd all be a lot easier and more direct if we didn't have to use FaceTime to make calls, but instead had a standalone app like the iPhone. That would put Apple's offering more in line with competitors and hopefully we'll see it in an update sometime.

maclancer

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Get a Google Voice number and use Hangouts. You can use that number to call and text people. You can even do group chats and send/receive pics and videos, though I wouldn't recommend using it for videos because of the awful quality MMS provides.

But yeah, I use my iPad to make and receive calls all the time this way.
Yeah, I do this same way as well... I call my daughter from my iPad mini 3 using hangout and works pretty well and basically is free.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.