Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
Hi all

In my time owning iPhones since the 3G. I have never experienced any issues with my iPhones.

However today when I plugged my iPhone 12 Pro Max into the wall outlet. It sent me a notification that charging has stopped due to the phones temperature being higher than normal.

Is this normal as I have never experienced this before.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Hi all

In my time owning iPhones since the 3G. I have never experienced any issues with my iPhones.

However today when I plugged my iPhone 12 Pro Max into the wall outlet. It sent me a notification that charging has stopped due to the phones temperature being higher than normal.

Is this normal as I have never experienced this before.
Were you using your phone at the time? If you were using the phone on something graphically intensive the phone may have stopped charging to protect its circuitry.

If your phone is hot it is normal for it not to charge when plugged in.

Marty80

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 17, 2015
Melbourne
I believe I was just surfing the web, and walked away from the phone. When I returned to the phone, I already had the notification.

Last edited:

floral

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2023
Earth
So the phone does that while surfing the web? That doesn't sound like a very intense task... It sounds like something's wrong :(

Frankfurt

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2016
USA
I have experienced that in some cars running CarPlay and Waze. Under such load iPhone can get hot and shut off charging or shut off completely (the latter especially with wireless charging). Happened last to me in a Mazda rental car.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
No it’s not too hot handle, but it’s in a silicon case.
Might just be a one off with your phone indexing or doing something intensive in the background. I wouldn’t worry at all. If it does it consistently there might be a problem, however.

Reactions: Scarrus

Mikeske

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2012
Washington
I had that happen a couple times when I had my phone plugged in my car using with CarPlay. What I discovered was the center console cubbie was 102 degrees using my digital thermometer. This is where I used to put the phone as it was easy spot to put the phone as it was right next to the USB port. I got a longer charger cable and use that and moved the behind the gearshift on the car. For me issue was resolved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.