Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sheldonsmith

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 14, 2011
I'm looking for a Phone Clean like app that cleans the memory/storage cache and closes non-essential background apps for my iPhone 6s Plus that runs in iOS and not tethered to Mac.

I have looked at Battery Status and Memory & Diskscanner Pro, but these looks a little cagy (pop up ads, pushing other software apps on you,) and there are mixed reviews in the App Store questioning their reliability/effectiveness.

Looking for any insights from the group as to what might be effective.

Thanks,

Sheldon

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
I'm looking for a Phone Clean like app that cleans the memory/storage cache and closes non-essential background apps for my iPhone 6s Plus that runs in iOS and not tethered to Mac.

I have looked at Battery Status and Memory & Diskscanner Pro, but these looks a little cagy (pop up ads, pushing other software apps on you,) and there are mixed reviews in the App Store questioning their reliability/effectiveness.

Thanks,

Sheldon

I don't think there is one as it is not necessary. Cleaning is only for Windows and maybe android.

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014

Thanks,

Sheldon
The most effective thing you can do is to let the system do the housekeeping.

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
I don't think there is one as it is not necessary. Cleaning is only for Windows and maybe android.

On the contrary, most applications are horrible with caching and will build up several hundred MB and even GB of data. On a 128 GB iPhone, it's nothing, but on a 16 GB iPhone, that's a software upgrade that can't download because the user can't clear application caches unless they delete the whole app (losing data in the process) and reinstalling it.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
On the contrary, most applications are horrible with caching and will build up several hundred MB and even GB of data. On a 128 GB iPhone, it's nothing, but on a 16 GB iPhone, that's a software upgrade that can't download because the user can't clear application caches unless they delete the whole app (losing data in the process) and reinstalling it.

What's the solution?

ideal.dreams

macrumors 68020
Jul 19, 2010
What's the solution?

Either delete and reinstall the app to clear cache files (which will also delete app data, such as game progress and saved login information), or to use an app like the OP is requesting. PhoneClean used to work but iOS 9 broke its functionality in clearing app caches.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Thanks,

Sheldon
The best ways to deal with that (not necessarily the more convenient ways though) are basically closing apps that you don't want to potentially run in the background and deleting and reinstalling apps that run up a cache that you want to empty (aside from some apps that offer the ability to clear their cache).

Mickyuki

Suspended
Sep 28, 2015
Doubt it.Ever since iOS 8.3 none of those pc cleaners have worked

Anyways do you have the link of the software?

Just as Radon87000 said, there is no app or program available to clean app caches since iOS 8.3, and the only way to do such cache cleaning thing is uninstall and then reinstall these apps, but the downside is all app data will also be deleted, like game saves.

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Battery Doctor. It cleans cache and junk files. http://www.cmcm.com/en-us/battery-doctor/
Seems to work for me. Try it, if it works for you keep it. If not delete it.
This for me....i've got it on my iPhone and iPad and despite being skeptical it does appear to do something. Definitely finds and deletes stuff to give me space back on my phone and the memory clean up process does seem to have an affect on the iPad 3 as well. Both running the latest iOS.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas

No.

image.jpg

And that's in just two months.

5s, 8.4.1.

(I use Battery Doctor and it works.)

ardchoille50

macrumors 68020
Feb 6, 2014
Nope. I check storage in Usage Settings after each clean and the amount cleaned is reflected on the amount of free space in Settings.
Glad that's working for you. I don't think I need it, I rarely use more than a quarter of the iPhone capacity:

image.jpeg

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
The system does not do the housekeeping on either ios or mac, not that works anyway. I am using an app called analyzer on my ipad and iphone but I don't know if it's still available since apple gave them all the boot. Works really well cleaning up, has worked since ios7 cleaning app cache. I had another that worked also but I did not have it installed and they got the boot from the store..

Mac's are really bad a.t uninstalling apps, lots of stuff left over. Vertsix is right, storage in usage settings goes down after cleaning. Some people really want to believe ios and osx are perfect.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.