Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vdawgs22

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2012
Iphone 14PM has some damage on the corner, tough to see with naked eye but as you see from photo when zoomed there is a chipping of the glass and bezel scratching... doesn't seem like worth paying $730 out of pocket for a replacement but from experience does anyone know if this will dock the phone value when I go to trade it in, in October?

If so, and it absolutely needs to be fixed to get full value does anyone have experience going through Amex for the $800 insurance claim.. any advice?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Iphone.jpg
    Iphone.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 96

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
As long as the phone is still fully functional (which I imagine it still is), it shouldn’t impact you trading it in — this is based on me trading in a similar damaged iPhone SE2 to Apple. Though if you’re trading it in to a carrier (ie. T-Mobile, Verizon, etc.) I’m not sure if they would ding you.

fwmireault

Contributor
Jul 4, 2019
Montréal, Canada
I don't know how Apple trade-in works, but for my carrier trade-in, this is an expected damage to the phone and doesn't impact the value. As long as the screen is perfect and the battery still works. So maybe just read carefully the requirements for the company you're trading in with

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
If you’re selling to a reseller you will be docked as you are selling an imperfect phone with clear cosmetic damage. It’ll be graded poorly because the screen is chipped. From what I have seen, scratches and chips to the chassis of the phone doesn’t result in a massive deduction however you could see a massive drop in valuation due to the damaged glass which is generally a big no-no.

I don’t think you’ll be docked $700 so there is no point in trying to have Apple replace the screen. You’re better off just taken the loss when the time comes.

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
Private buyer yes price will be lower. Trade in to apple/carrier no. As long as phone works and no cracked screen you are fine. What you are seeing is cosmetic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.