Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnclevohio

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 13, 2013
Historically I always had a case with a cover/folio, think UAG or Moshi. I've never dropped a phone before, just always cautious that somehow the screen would get damaged in my pocket.

Am I overdoing it or as long as I don't have anything else other than my phone in there can I go with a straightforward case. I'd like to get a magsafe version but have my doubts that I will be able to find one with a cover/folio feature.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
My 11 Pro Max has only an Apple leather case on the back. No screen protector. Then it goes into a sunglasses microfiber pouch then into my front jeans pocket alone. Never had an issue.

Reactions: mzd

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
My 11 Pro Max has only an Apple leather case on the back. No screen protector. Then it goes into a sunglasses microfiber pouch then into my front jeans pocket alone. Never had an issue.

How often do you end up using it?

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
The 6S i'm still using currently is the only iPhone i've ever used with a case and that was only because it was difficult to hold so needed something to make it grippier. Never used a screen protector either. For all that people wrap them up they are actually quite hardy things that take a fair amount to actually damage.

Mine is generally in and out of my pocket but i dont put coins\keys in the same pocket and comes out to sit on my desk at work or to use with CarPlay in the car. Ironically the only bit of damage on my 6S seems to have been caused to the back of it by some sort of reaction with the case or something getting in between the phone and case and doing something to the rear finish. The front and sides are fine.

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
The 6S i'm still using currently is the only iPhone i've ever used with a case and that was only because it was difficult to hold so needed something to make it grippier. Never used a screen protector either. For all that people wrap them up they are actually quite hardy things that take a fair amount to actually damage.

Mine is generally in and out of my pocket but i dont put coins\keys in the same pocket and comes out to sit on my desk at work or to use with CarPlay in the car. Ironically the only bit of damage on my 6S seems to have been caused to the back of it by some sort of reaction with the case or something getting in between the phone and case and doing something to the rear finish. The front and sides are fine.
It's sad that we have to mention that we don't put our phones in pockets without keys or coins as there's always some 'critic' accusing us of doing something that stupid and then complaining about scratches.

kawalerzysta

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2013
Tobyhanna, PA
It's sad that we have to mention that we don't put our phones in pockets without keys or coins as there's always some 'critic' accusing us of doing something that stupid and then complaining about scratches.
Truth is that keys really should not scratch screen. Its small particles like sand can do more damage. Would not criticize anybody for getting scratches for doing anything stupid. One can be careful and still get scratches. In the pas I would only had case on and would be putting phone in the shirt pocket. It would still get scratches. Past 2 phones have case and screen protector and it goes into front pocket with keys or change. If protector gets scratched or gets chipped, I just replace it. Just something to we have to live with.

maswriter

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2012
Orange County, CA
I've always used a case for my phone for protection and grip. I've had bad luck with screen protectors. With early ones, I've had problems with bubbles and poor adhesive. Some newer ones don't do a good job of protecting the screen.

I've already ordered my iPhone 12 Pro case, and it will arrive before my phone does. I wasn't planning to get a screen protector, but I read about some complaints about scratches on the new iPhone 12 screen. Has anyone else experienced scratches on their iPhone screens? Have screen protectors helped you?

Last edited:

akash.nu

macrumors G4
May 26, 2016
Naked phone always in my front jeans pocket. Not a single scratch or dent or anything anywhere. Just depends on how you use it.

Random Gecko

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2008
London, England
You put your phone into a pouch before your pocket..? That sounds like a PITA. And I thought I found the grippy silicone case grabbing my pocket annoying!

SisterBlue22

macrumors demi-goddess
Apr 29, 2015
Arizona
You put your phone into a pouch before your pocket..? That sounds like a PITA. And I thought I found the grippy silicone case grabbing my pocket annoying!

Use it for a week or two, and it smooths out beautifully and stops having that problem. Most people who give up on the silicone cases for this reason give up too early before they break in and smooth out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.