Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rj41978

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 20, 2020
Is there any recommendations similar to AppleCare if I buy a used iPhone on eBay? The phone I'm interested does have AC+ until this Dec. Just looking to insure it afterwards.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
You should 100% go for Apple refurbished if there are any available 13 Pros in your area. These phones are basically new and you are guaranteed at least a year of warranty should something go wrong. I only go on eBay if the item I want is no longer sold by the manufacturer. For example, I purchased a new SE1 last year which was boxed and sealed on eBay which I would not have been able to purchase anywhere else.

Reactions: Apple_Robert

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I opted for Verizon's insurance. I don't know if its over priced but it cost me 50 dollars a month for 4 phones. The deductible is a killer at 200 dollars, but the insurance doesn't repair the phone, but replace it. Last month, daughter #2 broke her phone and it was replaced no problem (refurb), and just recently daughter #1 did the same - talk about a bad stroke of luck.

That ran me 400 dollars, where as getting repaired by apple for both was going be 1,000. Conversely, the cost cost of the insurance is 1,200 so far, i.e., 50 dollars x 24 months. So to date I paid 1,600 dollars for insurance and deductibles (and that monthly cost is continuing), instead of 1,000. You see where I'm going with this. When its time to replace these phones, I'm not going to get insurance.

A1423

macrumors regular
Jan 18, 2023
I opted for Verizon's insurance. I don't know if its over priced but it cost me 50 dollars a month for 4 phones. The deductible is a killer at 200 dollars, but the insurance doesn't repair the phone, but replace it. Last month, daughter #2 broke her phone and it was replaced no problem (refurb), and just recently daughter #1 did the same - talk about a bad stroke of luck.

That ran me 400 dollars, where as getting repaired by apple for both was going be 1,000. Conversely, the cost cost of the insurance is 1,200 so far, i.e., 50 dollars x 24 months. So to date I paid 1,600 dollars for insurance and deductibles (and that monthly cost is continuing), instead of 1,000. You see where I'm going with this. When its time to replace these phones, I'm not going to get insurance.
Why did you opt for Verizon instead of Apple Care Theft and Loss? I know the almost all of the times I had an issue with my phone, they replaced the phone. The almost is 2 times which were a screen issue that just needed a screen replacement, as well as I lost the phone and didn't have theft and loss.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016

Sounds like you should purchase them Lifeproof, Punkcase, Miracase or Otterbox style cases to protect their phones while you’re still financially liable.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.