Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
On my wife's iPhone X running the latest version of iOS13 she has started having issues with calling people etc. We realised that dial assist has switched itself on and some of the numbers in the contact app were showing in US format (but not all).

The phones region is showing as UK and the only way to correct this issue is to switch the phones region to US and then back again. This resolved the issue for a day before reverting back to the same behaviour.

She doesn't want to have to do this every other day just to correct this bug. Is there anything that can be done to resolve permanently and go back to the correct behaviour?

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2016
And there was me thinking its just me, had this happen on two iPhones in my household since iOS 13

Exactly what you mention and the fix you give resolves it.

Its only happened once so far on each of the iPhones.

Basically all contact numbers have space between the numbers and you can't call anyone, for the record we are in the UK, so to fix have to switch region to US and back to UK to fix it.

Must be a bug that has not been picked up by many people yet.

markl9

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2008
London, UK
I noticed this too, changing my region (settings - general - language and region) to US then back to UK resolved it for me.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Ah its interesting to see that this is happening to others too. The other side effect of this bug is that if you receive a message or call from someone who has an incorrectly formatted number in your contacts their name will not always show.

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2016
Kept happening to me too. I switched phone off and back on to resolve issue. Haven’t had it once since upgrading to 13.2.

13.2 beta?

Ah its interesting to see that this is happening to others too. The other side effect of this bug is that if you receive a message or call from someone who has an incorrectly formatted number in your contacts their name will not always show.

Had that as well.

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2016
Happened again on an iPhone SE and iPhone 8 today running 13.1.2.

How do I report a bug?

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2016
I might wait till 13.2 see if that resolves it, if not sign out/in of iCloud and last resort a reset of phone.

If I have to reset should I sign out of iCloud first?

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2016

You still getting this issue?

Happened again yesterday on latest 13.1.3 on two different iPhones.

I'm not sure what to do next, I might try logging the phones out of iCloud and see if that fixes it, last resort a reset.

I forgot to see if the issue syncs across devices, if it happens in the mean time I will check the contacts on my iMac and iPad, if the phone numbers are all screwed up on these then it shows its something with iCloud I guess.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
You still getting this issue?

Happened again yesterday on latest 13.1.3 on two different iPhones.

I'm not sure what to do next, I might try logging the phones out of iCloud and see if that fixes it, last resort a reset.

I forgot to see if the issue syncs across devices, if it happens in the mean time I will check the contacts on my iMac and iPad, if the phone numbers are all screwed up on these then it shows its something with iCloud I guess.
it’s not happened again yet but it has happened twice so far.

riteshritesh

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2016
Mumbai INDIA
How do you all save your numbers in the contacts? Do you use the international format for e.g. +44 7482 123456 or 7482 123456? It is always better to save them in the international format as it works better without the dial assist mess and while dialing in from an outside country.

Reactions: jpn and ledzep1

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2016
How do you all save your numbers in the contacts? Do you use the international format for e.g. +44 7482 123456 or 7482 123456? It is always better to save them in the international format as it works better without the dial assist mess and while dialing in from an outside country.

Hi

Good point, looking now I have some with +44 and a lot just standard with no prefix for example:

07483 000000

So you think its best if I change all my UK numbers so that it has the +44?

Thanks

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2016
Worth a try, as it causes no harm and don't forget to drop the 0

Will try that then, should I turn off dial assist, its on by default I think. Someone else has no issues with this phone number issue and has always had dial assist on.

riteshritesh

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2016
Mumbai INDIA
Yes. Turn off dial assist if you save them in the international format. You would, anyways enter the necessary prefixes, while entering a non saved number on your dialpad.

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2016
Yes. Turn off dial assist if you save them in the international format. You would, anyways enter the necessary prefixes, while entering a non saved number on your dialpad.

Thanks again, I might leave it on for now though, I gather it wouldn't do any harm if the prefixes are already in place.

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2016
I thought mine was fixed, but just happened again with the latest beta installed.

I'm trying the above putting my country code prefix into my contact numbers, well just doing a few for now to see if it fixes it, the next time it happens I will see if its screwed with the numbers with the prefix as well.

Reactions: Simacca

jaybbb

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2008
Paris
I also have the same issue, and as soon as I press the call button the format is correctly displayed. I posted a bug report using the feedback tool over a month ago but it has not been updated.

Sir Ruben

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 3, 2010
UK
Just had a call from my dad to say that he updated to iOS13 and now can't call anyone. Guess what? Its this issue again! He thought the update had broken his phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.