Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
I typically buy a new phone every 5-6 yrs in the $250 range. I purchased a Nexus 6 $199 from Amazon back in 2015 (good phone btw) and when the N6 began slowing down with FW updates I purchased a Huawei Mate SE in mid 2018. I ruined the Huawei phone by putting it in my back pocket.

So now I'm looking for a new phone because the N6 is still slow although a good phone. I've been looking at the following phones:

1) Moto G Power (stock Android and great battery)
2) Pixel 4a (not yet released)
3) OnePlus 7 Pro ($499 but solid reviews a year later...tempting)
4) OnePlus 8 ($699 but I can do 0% interest for 12 months)

I can't decide so just need some opinions and advice.

Reactions: ackmondual

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
You may want to explore your needs in the new phone:

Great camera
Fast screen refresh
Gamer
Phone screen size
and so on

These can all be determiners in a phone choice.

I wanted a really good camera, smaller form factor, solid build, price - I chose the Pixel 3a.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
You may want to explore your needs in the new phone:

Great camera
Fast screen refresh
Gamer
Phone screen size
and so on

These can all be determiners in a phone choice.

I wanted a really good camera, smaller form factor, solid build, price - I chose the Pixel 3a.
My only requirements are at least 6" screen and vanilla Android.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I typically buy a new phone every 5-6 yrs in the $250 range. I purchased a Nexus 6 $199 from Amazon back in 2015 (good phone btw) and when the N6 began slowing down with FW updates I purchased a Huawei Mate SE in mid 2018. I ruined the Huawei phone by putting it in my back pocket.

So now I'm looking for a new phone because the N6 is still slow although a good phone. I've been looking at the following phones:

1) Moto G Power (stock Android and great battery)
2) Pixel 4a (not yet released)
3) OnePlus 7 Pro ($499 but solid reviews a year later...tempting)
4) OnePlus 8 ($699 but I can do 0% interest for 12 months)

I can't decide so just need some opinions and advice.
If you really like the stock Android look, then OnePlus is a great choice. Also look at Nokia phones if they're available in your country.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Feb 23, 2016
You should go with OnePlus 7 Pro.
Yeah, that's what i'm leaning on, just waiting for Google to officially release the Pixel 4a and the other possible rumored Pixel 4a XL. What draws me to the OnePlus 7 Pro is the price, it basically is running Vanilla Android, the size and NO hole punch. The other is the OnePlus series is known for OS support. The phone might be a year old but it still gets rave reviews.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.