Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2020
Hello, I am a bit news to iOS.

I find that the phone storage is a bit confusing to me.

checked the app storage in the setting -> phone storage page, I am surprised why a few text file plus a few photos (Like those under Notes app 263Mb for less than 20 no of short notes)could occupy so much phone storage.

the most of all, when I deleted a file under File app, the reclaimed storage looks often much less than the size of the deleted file.

How does iOS handle deletion of files and storage?

By the way, if I move notes from “On Phone” to “iCloud” account, shouldn’t I save some phone storage?

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Often when you delete a file, the file space that gets reclaimed isn't exactly the same amount as the file size you deleted. Yes, using iCloud as the default save location will help you free up more iPhone storage. If you're not already using iCloud Photos, that's a good option too to help save space on your phone.

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2020
Hello, tks for your reply.

could you advise why the reclaimed storage is much less than the size of the deleted files? Any lifetime of the deleted files or ways to empty recycle bin (not seen under File app)

iCloud is expensive so I try keep minimal use of it within the 5GB free storage limit.

I tried to move notes from On Phone to ICloud but did not see it available space under File change obviously.

it also looks to me that the usage shown in Phone Storage could not reconcile (always) with the available storage shown under File.

attached the screen capture. 33GB used shown in Phone Storage whole only 87Gb available down under File (128GB phone)

Attachments

• 5D222B66-19B0-4206-BC81-6DA7217499F0.jpeg
    5D222B66-19B0-4206-BC81-6DA7217499F0.jpeg
    36.7 KB · Views: 245
  • E1EA48DF-4DDF-4953-8CB3-AEEE981E8A70.jpeg
    E1EA48DF-4DDF-4953-8CB3-AEEE981E8A70.jpeg
    54.2 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
I have a similar difference on my phone (about 7GB). I'm going to guess the difference is because of the space the system files need. On my phone the system is approximately 7.95GB. So maybe what's shows as available space for On My iPhone storage (in the Files app) deducts what's reserved for the system files. That's just a guess though.

unita_logica

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2004
iCloud is expensive so I try keep minimal use of it within the 5GB free storage limit.

I have the same concern. I've been using other apps such as DropBox that have a free tier to save some files there as well -- so for example i keep notes under iCloud, but music files go in DropBox. Just an idea.

it also looks to me that the usage shown in Phone Storage could not reconcile (always) with the available storage shown under File.

attached the screen capture. 33GB used shown in Phone Storage whole only 87Gb available down under File (128GB phone)
The difference in size here is around ~ 6GB which could amount to the swap space used by the system depending what you were doing at that moment. I wonder if that has a part here -- i'm hypothesizing that the system's Settings.app reports the total space (including the swap, which is volatile) while the Files.app considers the actual current free space. If you reboot the device do those number change at all?

timeislove

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 2, 2020
I have the same concern. I've been using other apps such as DropBox that have a free tier to save some files there as well -- so for example i keep notes under iCloud, but music files go in DropBox. Just an idea.

The difference in size here is around ~ 6GB which could amount to the swap space used by the system depending what you were doing at that moment. I wonder if that has a part here -- i'm hypothesizing that the system's Settings.app reports the total space (including the swap, which is volatile) while the Files.app considers the actual current free space. If you reboot the device do those number change at all?

The storage diff for me is also around 7G. But the usage shown in Phone Storage page (as shown in the screenshot) include both “System” and “Others” so i suppose it should have include the swap size. The swap for other apps (like safari) should be shown under the app storage.

i did move a few larger size notes to iCloud (iCloud acct under Note app) but did not notice any observable change in available space.

did you?

Attachments

• 0E70D87B-4606-4EE5-9649-B8775AB24093.jpeg
    0E70D87B-4606-4EE5-9649-B8775AB24093.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 114

unita_logica

macrumors newbie
Aug 10, 2004
The storage diff for me is also around 7G. But the usage shown in Phone Storage page (as shown in the screenshot) include both “System” and “Others” so i suppose it should have include the swap size. The swap for other apps (like safari) should be shown under the app storage.

i did move a few larger size notes to iCloud (iCloud acct under Note app) but did not notice any observable change in available space.

did you?

tbh I did not pay attention, but I did notice something similar on my Mac (iOS has many similarities with macOS) where I’ve been close to maxing out my HD (so i am definitely paying attention there!) What I saw there is a behavior like the one you’re describing. A similar example is when emptying the trash: the total space reported by the Finder doesn’t move instantly. I think the system manages all that lazily, when actually needed. But once I restart, I always see an updated count.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.