Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mconk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia
At this point, the iOS 9 beta has settled in fairly well. All things considered, and especially for a beta - I really haven't encountered too many bugs or issues as a daily driver.

One thing however that's driving me mad, is that it seems like over the course of a week or two, my phone storage dwindles down from 3GB available, to almost nothing.

I'm very particular about what's on my phone, and for the most part have a specific set of photos and apps, with everything else handled by iCloud. I currently have about 6GB of apps and 2GB of photos on the device. At any given point, iTunes shows that I've got around 3GB free, but after doing a clean install, reloading my content and then letting the OS settle in after about a week, I notice my storage start to quickly go down.

The only thing I'm really doing on the phone that would even consume storage is taking photos, but most of them are deleted after syncing to my Mac. So it seems like the OS is maybe not deleting everything it should, because I could literally take 1,000 photos (as an example) with 3GB of free space after a clean install, and after a week be down to almost no storage space left, even after syncing the photos and deleting them from the device.

I'm about to restore and start over again for the fifth time on this OS beta, and will again be starting with 3GB free. It's been about a week and a half since the last restore. I took screenshots to make sure I wasn't losing my mind, and there are literally no changes in size under the usage screen between now, and after reinstalling the beta and restoring content. Yet, somehow, something is still eating away at the storage space.

Anyone else out there noticing their storage space dropping like this?

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Once or twice. Not sure if it is the same problem, but I have woken up to my iPhone being very hot (I leave it charging overnight) and an error message saying my phone is out of storage. Checking general settings confirms this, though a hard reset gives me all my space back.

Didn't think too much about it since it happened with the earlier beta and hasn't occurred since.

estabya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2014
I think this has something to do with iTunes on the phone. I have had the same issue, but I've found a workaround. For me it's been fixed by going into the iTunes settings menu and logging out, then logging back into my account.

mconk

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 10, 2009
Virginia
I think this has something to do with iTunes on the phone. I have had the same issue, but I've found a workaround. For me it's been fixed by going into the iTunes settings menu and logging out, then logging back into my account.
That's had an effect on the amount of storage being shown/available on your iPhone ?

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
Those log files can eat up storage very quickly, sometimes by the gigabyte. Every time I sync a beta device to iTunes it says "Copying Diagnostic Files" and then removed them from the device. If you've ever captured stackshots (not screenshots), you'll understand why this happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.