Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Francesco Gioeli

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 10, 2020
Los Gatos, CA
My 11 pro max I bought in may 2020 was aggressively caught in crossfire and thrown at the wall by someone other than me. I take beautiful care of my phone, I have Apple care + I’m considering swapping it out but do I need to? Are those “new” phones Apple give you actually new? I’m worried there is damage my screen protector cracked and I notice some stutter.

Last edited:

Antomir

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2020
My 11 pro max I bought in may 2020 was aggressively thrown at the wall by someone other than me. I take beautiful care of my phone, I have Apple care + I’m considering swapping it out but do I need to? Are those “new” phones Apple give you actually new? I’m worried there is damage my screen protector cracked and I notice some stutter.
I can assure you that the phones that Apple gives you as replacement are brand new phones. The only noticeable difference between the two is that in settings, instead of having a model number that starts with M, you will have one that starts with an N. The N signifies that it is a replacement device. Bear in mind however, that these are brand new devices manufactured solely as replacement devices and they don’t come in the fancy retail packaging. My girlfriend has worked in cell phone repair for a couple years and she’s told me that the XS and 11 were known to suffer motherboard damage when being dropped. Now I’m not saying that’s what you have. Depending on how much AppleCare you have left I would suggest you wait a week or so and see. Often times, that stutter you are seeing now is just paranoia and it’ll probably be nothing.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
My 11 pro max I bought in may 2020 was aggressively caught in crossfire and thrown at the wall by someone other than me. I take beautiful care of my phone, I have Apple care + I’m considering swapping it out but do I need to? Are those “new” phones Apple give you actually new? I’m worried there is damage my screen protector cracked and I notice some stutter.
Must have been a great Thanksgiving!

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
I can assure you that the phones that Apple gives you as replacement are brand new phones. The only noticeable difference between the two is that in settings, instead of having a model number that starts with M, you will have one that starts with an N. The N signifies that it is a replacement device. Bear in mind however, that these are brand new devices manufactured solely as replacement devices and they don’t come in the fancy retail packaging. My girlfriend has worked in cell phone repair for a couple years and she’s told me that the XS and 11 were known to suffer motherboard damage when being dropped. Now I’m not saying that’s what you have. Depending on how much AppleCare you have left I would suggest you wait a week or so and see. Often times, that stutter you are seeing now is just paranoia and it’ll probably be nothing.

My understanding is that service replacement devices (model number starts with N) could be either brand new and manufactured specifically as a service replacement OR a refurbished unit that was used as a service replacement. I know this used to be the case when I worked at an Apple authorized reseller, but that was more than 12 years ago so practices obviously could have changed.

Regardless, based on my experience, every service replacement AND refurbished Apple product purchased directly from Apple (these have a model number that starts with F) is in like new condition, so the OP shouldn’t worry about it.

Reactions: DieselFiend1989

bransoj

macrumors 68000
Jul 31, 2013
Was quite a while ago but i had a refurbished 3GS once as a replacement as my original one had cracked by the silent switch which was a known issue. To be honest had i been given it as a brand new phone i wouldnt have questioned it, it was spotless and worked perfectly.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I wouldn’t worry about Apple Care in this instance as it would use up one of your replacements on the policy. Get the person who caused the criminal damage to buy a new phone outright. I am assuming you can do this and they are not too badly injured from the kicking you gave them?

Id be pursuing this through a small claims court if it were me and getting bailiffs involved should they not pay up.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I can assure you that the phones that Apple gives you as replacement are brand new phones.
That's true for a certain period of time after a new iPhone release. All Apple has at that time is new phones - either retail or manufactured for replacement purposes. But past a certain point, Apple gets enough returns that remanufactured devices begin to become replacements.

Remanufactured devices receive new batteries, new screens and new casings. All previous parts that still pass inspection are reused. These devices mix with those that are still being manufactured expressly as replacement devices. Apple says that there is no difference between these devices and new and you have a 50/50 shot of getting a new one or a remanufactured one.

I've had replacements and as far as I'm concerned the replacements were better than the original.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
That’s not necessarily true, though they may give you a new one was a replacement. I guess it’s especially true in the very early days of a phone’s release, but later on? It’s actually quite unlikely.
Yep, eventually remanufactured devices enter the mix.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
I'm here for the story as well. Popcorn is at the ready...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.