Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

valinda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
Accidentally left iPhone in pocket, then proceeded to wash my pants. Went through the whole cycle. When I took it out, it came on as normal, but I immediately powered it off, and have it in rice. I took SIM card out also. Is there anything else I should do?

EastHillWill

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2020
Boise, ID
I don’t have any advice, but: wow. I’ve heard of ear buds getting washed, but this is a new one to me. Glad you caught before you put it in the dryer!

Reactions: valinda

Patchwork

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
Near Preston, UK
You’ve done the right thing to power it off immediately and removing the SIM card. Rather than using rice, I’d suggest using a synthetic desiccant like silica gel, as this will absorb more moisture, plus you don’t up with gooey rice around your phone. You may already have some silic gel as they often come with packaging and some cat litters are actually silica gel. If you don’t have any, it is pretty cheap to buy online. Put the iphone in box or bag you can make airtight (you don’t want to be absorbing moisture from the room, just the iPhone), cover in silica gel, seal the box/bag and leave for at least 2 days.

Reactions: valinda

valinda

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Virginia Beach, VA
Update. I did use some silicia gel packets that I already had handy. First time I tried phone was on third day, and everything worked but the speaker sounded a little funny when I made a call. I turned it back off again and left it for another couple days. Today everything works fine. I lucked out on this one.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Yep, any iPhone starting from 7 handles occasional washing quite well. My iPhone 7 spent about 10 minutes in the washing machine. I did not power it off, nor removed the SIM card, as I trusted it was water resistant enough. The phone was fine, except for the speakers, which is normal, as their grills were blocked by water. Once they dried off (about 30-45 minutes), everything was fine and back to normal. A few months afterwards I also replaced its battery at Apple store and nothing showed up during their hardware tests. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.