Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C0ncreteBl0nde

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2023
Rural America
I am in the process of moving some of my photos from Lightroom on an older Mac to my current MBA using the Photo app. I find this app fine for a simple library and for simple edits (I don't want to pay Adobe's subscription for a new copy of LR). However, lately, when using the Photo editor to do crops or a WB change, it freezes on me and I have to restart the app to get it to work again. I did a Google search for this and didn't come up with much so I decided to ask here: is anyone else experiencing this and did you find a fix for it? Or is this a case of "you get what you pay for?".

RyanIsra

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2023
Jakarta
Never happened, but you can try each of these troubleshooting steps in turn:

1. Set Preferences > Performance > From the Use Graphics Processor drop-down menu, select Off.

acceleration-disabled-error.png.img.png

2. Try resetting Lightroom's preferences (Lightroom sometimes soils its preferences file, and resetting it can fix all sorts of wonky behavior explained in the article below
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Hope it helps!

Reactions: C0ncreteBl0nde

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
I am in the process of moving some of my photos from Lightroom on an older Mac to my current MBA using the Photo app. I find this app fine for a simple library and for simple edits (I don't want to pay Adobe's subscription for a new copy of LR). However, lately, when using the Photo editor to do crops or a WB change, it freezes on me and I have to restart the app to get it to work again. I did a Google search for this and didn't come up with much so I decided to ask here: is anyone else experiencing this and did you find a fix for it? Or is this a case of "you get what you pay for?".
Are you editing raw files or jpegs ?
Raw files are very large compared to the jpegs. It might just be that Photos isn't so adept at processing raw files.
Just a thought. I only use Photos to edit jpegs.
Also, are you exporting from Lr ? I know Photos wants to put all the images in a big library file. Perhaps some of the Lr edits are causing the hang ups.
And another... Your Photo Library may be corrupt / damaged. You might need to create a new library just for the Lr images. You can work with multiple libraries in Photos.

Last edited:
Reactions: C0ncreteBl0nde

C0ncreteBl0nde

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 25, 2023
Rural America
Are you editing raw files or jpegs ?
Raw files are very large compared to the jpegs. It might just be that Photos isn't so adept at processing raw files.
Just a thought. I only use Photos to edit jpegs.
Also, are you exporting from Lr ? I know Photos wants to put all the images in a big library file. Perhaps some of the Lr edits are causing the hang ups.
And another... Your Photo Library may be corrupt / damaged. You might need to create a new library just for the Lr images. You can work with multiple libraries in Photos.
I am editing BOTH jpgs and RAW images although I hadn't noticed if this happens with one and not the other. I will now. Most of the photos I am exporting from LR, a few I have imported straight from the camera. Again, hadn't noticed if the newly shot images hang or just the ones from LR. I better do my homework. Thanks for the heads up on these matters!

Reactions: stillcrazyman
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.