Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple_Glen_UK

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
West Sussex, England
Quick question for you; I am going to move away from Lightroom and I am looking for another app that can catalogue photos and include video clips as well. I have trialled Luminar 3 which I like but as far as I can see it is for photos only and does not include video files.

Any suggestions?

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
Personally, I don't really do videos, but Photos allows you to organize both stills and videos. Whether you'd want to use it depends on how sophisticated you're trying to get. Outside of that, without searching online, I don't know what other options there might be. The helpful folks over in the Digital Video forum may have some advice.

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
Anybody..? Is there even anything for simply cataloging photos and video files as an alternative to Lightroom?

Photo Mechanic recognises .avi, .mov, .mpeg and .mpeg4 files.

The Mac Photo app can probably be used to do this via labels, etc.

Final Cut can be used to apply metadata to both videos and photos. I've never tried to use it to "catalogue" photos, but it just might work.

Last edited:

F-Train

macrumors 68020
Apr 22, 2015
NYC & Newfoundland
I use Lightroom, but I just opened up Final Cut Pro X and focused on how it handles metadata for photographs, which are of course commonly used in video.

I'm pretty sure that it could be used in pretty much the way that Lightroom is used, with the photos themselves kept in the Photo app or, I suspect, anywhere you want.

In other words, if you want a video editing app that will also competently handle photo metadata, Final Cut might work fine. It's available as a free 30 day trial.

Last edited:

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
There isn't much; Photos is probably as versatile as it gets. Photo apps are just kinda crappy at handling video.

Probably the best is Bridge. At least it can add metadata efficiently. But most folks work through their chosen video editor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.