Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Which one do you prefer?

• Samsung Galaxy S24 Ultra

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • Google Pixel 8 Pro

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
Having Samsung's new flagship nearby, I have proceeded to compare both devices with the intention of seeing which of the two has a better camera.

The Samsung has more lenses than the Pixel. It has with a 200 megapixel main camera, already seen in previous generations, a 12 megapixel ultra wide angle, a 10 megapixel 3X optical zoom and a new 50 megapixel 5x zoom that promises a 10X zoom without loss of quality.

On the Pixel, meanwhile, we have a 50-megapixel main camera with 2x "optical" quality zoom, a 48-megapixel ultra wide-angle and a 48-megapixel 5x zoom that also promises up to 10X "optical" zoom without loss of quality.

Apart from the specifications, where the high end always has the latest in photo sensors, the important thing is the processing of the same.

Both phones are updated to the latest versions of the system on that day. The S24 Ultra has not yet received any updates at the time of shooting, so it comes with the factory software, and the Pixel had not received the February update that came out last Monday/Tuesday.

Both phones shot at 50 megapixels all the pictures. As was the case with the OnePlus 11, the Samsung shoots much faster photos, as well as processing them, as the Pixel, even in daylight, takes a long time to shutter, take the photo and process the photo, taking even around a minute to process the photo taken.

Focusing on the photography as such, let's go analyzing one by one the ones we took with both phones. On the left the Samsung S24 Ultra and on the right the Pixel 8 Pro.

The first photo, at 1X, during sunset, we observe two very good photos. The Pixel gives a bit more contrast to the scene and tends towards a warmer tonality, while the Samsung uses somewhat more saturated tones.

53514371532_6460b00cd5_b.jpg

53515425153_22e8dcbcdd_b.jpg

In terms of sharpness and detail, the Pixel is somewhat better than the Samsung.

In this shot, both photos are similar, so I don't consider there to be any clear winner. I personally like the "look" of the Pixel one better.

The second photo is with the 5X zoom in the same place. Here we see that the Pixel clearly does a better job with HDR, taking a clearer picture, without actually burning out the sky. The Samsung, also shows a number of "artifacts" in the sky, something that is not apparent in the Pixel. In detail and sharpness, the Pixel is noticeably better, as the Samsung shows details somewhat "washed out", while I find the Pixel's sharpness and definition better.

53515689540_dff68da227_b.jpg

53515689620_6f12b74dd2_b.jpg

In this shot I'm sticking with the Pixel.

The next shot, at 1X, again I see it very similar on both devices. Good detail and sharpness in both, the colors perhaps slightly more saturated in the Samsung, but nothing exaggerated. Where I do notice a difference is in the HDR, since the Pixel photo manages to see the inside of the dome, while in the Samsung it looks completely black.

53515257931_552b1affc0_b.jpg

As with the first picture, I don't consider there to be any winners, but personally I'll go with the Pixel.

The next one, taken at 5X, we observe that the Pixel again does a better job with HDR, giving more light to the dark parts, although the Samsung offers a higher contrast and a more saturated and warmer tonality. The control of the lights I see it better worked in the Pixel, especially if we look at the headlights of cars or the sky.

53515426203_f477725f6c_b.jpg

53514372637_c171d4c91f_b.jpg

In terms of detail and sharpness, I consider the Pixel to be a step above the Samsung, since if we enlarge the photograph to the Volkswagen Lupo area, it allows us to perfectly observe the license plate on the Pixel, while on the Samsung it is much more blurred. The detail of the Volkswagen is noticeably greater on the Pixel compared to the Samsung.

Therefore, personally, I'm sticking with the one on the Pixel.

In the next photograph, taken at 3X, we note that similar work on both devices. The Pixel has a slightly warmer tonality and the HDR works slightly better on the Pixel, as the trees are better appreciated on the Google Pixel. At the level of detail and sharpness I also see them quite similar, perhaps slightly better the Pixel. At the color level, the Samsung has the most vivid colors compared to the Pixel.

53515690505_67eef961ea_b.jpg

In this case, both photos look similar to me, and both look good to me. Perhaps I like the Pixel's a little better because of the HDR work.

This photograph taken with the 0.5x, again highlights the good HDR work of the Pixel, offering much more clarity to the dark areas. We also note a warmer tone in the Pixel compared to the Samsung, although the Samsung has more vivid colors.

53515258511_91d2e7fce5_b.jpg

53515427068_a3aeca779c_b.jpg

Both distort the image somewhat in the corners, although the Pixel I think it is more noticeable, clearly losing definition and detail, looking even blurry, something that does not seem to be appreciated in the Samsung.

In this case I would stick with the Samsung for the lower distortion.

The same scene, at 1X. We observe exactly the same as in the previous cases. More vivid colors in the Samsung, warmer scene in the Pixel. We also find more detail and sharpness in the Pixel.

53514373322_37dda59e64_b.jpg

53514373612_08dfbe4621_b.jpg

Both photos are very good and similar, but again I'll take the Pixel for the HDR work and the extra sharpness and detail.

The next photo, at 10X, allows us to see a pretty good overall scene in both. Again, the Pixel lifts the highlights more, with more intense HDR work, while the Samsung opts for more contrast and color vibrancy.

53514374252_9527d2f892_b.jpg

53514374272_b0463d9e53_b.jpg

Zooming in, we see that the Samsung has more detail and sharpness over the Pixel.

In this shot, I'm sticking with the Samsung.

The next shot, at 30X, allows us to see that the Samsung gets a better image. The antenna is seen with obviously better detail and sharpness. Again, the colors are more vivid on the Samsung and the Pixel's scene is warmer than the Korean model.

53515692545_85d34355c4_b.jpg

53515427788_54b2fee196_b.jpg

I'm sticking with the Samsung again.

The next photo, at 5X, lets you see that the Pixel offers slightly more detail and sharpness. The colors on the Samsung are somewhat more vivid and the tonality cooler than on the Pixel.

53515428713_b381a9b30c_b.jpg

53515580609_64f1015e7c_b.jpg

If we zoom in, we notice that the pigeon on the Pixel has more detail and looks better, but it also looks like some strange shadows where the beak area.

However, in this shot I'll stick with the Samsung.

The next shot, already with barely any light, at 1X, we again see a great HDR job by the Pixel, bringing out more information from the lower trees. Colors are more vivid on the Samsung.

53515260651_97f7842149_b.jpg

In this photograph I'm sticking with the Pixel.

The next photograph, at 1X, again shows us a similar situation. More color vibrancy in the Samsung, slightly more shadows in the Pixel, although both seem to show similar contrast, although the Pixel offers slightly more brightness in the staircase area.

53515693690_3d2b956955_b.jpg

53515581724_6746742db2_b.jpg

Enlarging the photograph a bit, again we can appreciate a slightly greater detail and sharpness in the Pixel.

As in other photographs, the result is quite similar and I find it hard to decide for one or the other, perhaps in this one I would go with the Samsung for the colors and contrast.

The next shot, in 3X, the Samsung takes off chest in terms of sharpness and definition, noticing already the digital zoom of the Pixel with respect to the optical zoom of the Samsung. As can be seen when zoomed in, the Pixel loses quite a bit of detail with the 3X zoom, while the Samsung offers more than adequate detail and sharpness for the low light at the time.

53515261621_572bf60d9f_b.jpg

53515694220_82bc8144c4_b.jpg

In this picture I'm sticking with the Samsung.

With the 5X, the Samsung has slightly more detail, but less sharpness than the Pixel. However, the Pixel suffers from more noise compared to the Samsung.

53514376797_2f80479696_b.jpg

53515430728_8826e697a6_b.jpg

The Samsung saturates the colors more, with the marquee looking more saturated than the Pixel.

In this photograph I would go with the Samsung.

The next photograph, taken at 1X, we again observe a greater saturation of colors in the Samsung, as well as a warmer tone in the Korean with respect to the American model.

53515430598_86661b6785_b.jpg

53515694980_99f55f34cf_b.jpg

The Pixel has more detail, but less sharpness than the Samsung, as well as more noise in the scene, again.

In this photo I'm sticking with the Samsung again.

A photo of the last few minutes of light, with the 5X zoom. The Pixel pulls HDR but makes the scene look weird and with lots and lots of noise. The opposite happens in the Samsung, which performs an absolute contrast and barely lets you see anything.

53514377592_f41fbed100_b.jpg

53515695660_8057fabf1d_b.jpg

The colors on the Samsung are much warmer and more saturated than on the Pixel, perhaps in this case excessive, since the sky did not look like that on the Pixel. On the Pixel, however, they are too muted, with the scene not being 100% the real thing either.

In terms of detail and sharpness, the Samsung does much better.

Without liking either picture, I find the Samsung one better.

Same scene, 30X zoom. Again, the Pixel can do little about the Samsung's zoom. While the Pixel shows the towers completely blurred, the Samsung manages a more or less "decent" shot.

53515695700_aed96d2502_b.jpg

The excessively saturated and warm colors of the Samsung and the strange HDR of the Pixel, giving much more noise to the dark areas, are again repeated again in this photograph.

Again, the Samsung wins again in this case.

New scene, at 1X. Now things change again. The Pixel offers a darker and warmer scene, with higher contrast. The Samsung has the more vivid colors again and pulls HDR to give more light, generating strange artifacts that are perfectly noticeable in the trees and tower.

53514378392_45b9a560eb_b.jpg

53514378167_816da16eea_b.jpg

In terms of sharpness and detail the Samsung is a little above the Pixel, but the HDR or night mode (because they were in automatic mode) completely destroys the photograph.

With the 2X zoom, we observe something similar to the previous case, although the HDR in the Samsung is quite less noticeable than in the previous case.

53515696690_69b9f88d5b_b.jpg

Again, I'm sticking with the Pixel.

Another scene, at 1X, we can see that on the Samsung, as night falls, it tends to saturate the colors more and opt for a warmer tonality, while the Pixel tends towards cooler tones.

53515263861_01ec24df82_b.jpg

The Samsung brings out a bit more information from the trees, but overall it is a fairly similar photo in terms of detail and sharpness, although in these aspects, the Samsung is a point above. However, at the top the Samsung starts to bring out noise, blurring the top of the photo, something that doesn't happen on the Pixel.

Neither photo would make anyone fall in love, but I think I'd opt for the Pixel's, for the less saturated and somewhat more realistic colors.

In the next shot with the 5X, we note that, unlike in the previous photographs, it is now the Samsung that pulls the lights up to give some information from the tree, while the Pixel opts for a completely contrasted and dark image.

53515264381_588b5bf3b6_b.jpg

HDR is somewhat noticeable on the Samsung, on the Pixel too, but somewhat less so. The Samsung's colors are more saturated and warmer than the Pixel's colors.

In this case, I think I'd go with the Pixel photo.

Photo already completely at night, with the 5X zoom. In this case we note that the Pixel brings out a little more light and, above all, definition and detail. The Pixel also has slightly more noise than the Samsung.

53515702195_d9398a7a53_b.jpg

53515589939_cbe07be06e_b.jpg

The lights on the Pixel are better controlled.

In this photograph, I'm sticking with the Pixel.

Zooming in on the nearest houses with 10X, we note that the Pixel does a far inferior job than its rival. We note that the terrace on the Samsung is shown completely crisp and with great detail and sharpness, while on the Pixel it's all quite blurry.

53515698120_518aea0fac_b.jpg

Clearly, the Samsung's photography in this case is noticeably better, so it wins in this case.

Next photograph of the Deboh Temple, at 1X. This time we notice that the Samsung controls the highlights better, as the Pixel overexposes the scene too much. In return, the Pixel offers a little more information of the environment, but not much more than the Samsung.

53515264431_8a7fd83ae9_b.jpg

53515437788_f1ea4e8152_b.jpg

When we enlarge the photo we observe that the Samsung has better detail and sharpness of the details of the monument. The Samsung saturates much more than the Pixel, in addition to tending to a warmer tonality.

In this photo I'm sticking with the Samsung.

The next photo, at 3X, we again appreciate a strange work of the Samsung. The photo in terms of detail and sharpness is correct, but I don't know if it's because of the 10MP 3X sensor or the night mode, or a combination of both factors, the scene comes out with a lot of noise.

53515436798_a4a63d4db1_b.jpg

In contrast, the Pixel makes a photograph with a good level of quality, both at the level of lights (it does not overexpose), as well as sharpness and detail.

In this case, the winner is clearly the Pixel.

The next shot at 2X, we note that the Samsung tends toward a warmer, more saturated tone. The Samsung in the building at the end overexposes a bit more relative to the Pixel.

53515436603_12d30b7059_b.jpg

53515585559_54a74b4eb1_b.jpg

In terms of definition and sharpness both are very similar, perhaps slightly superior the Samsung.

I'd go with the Pixel's for the more natural tones, but both scenes are virtually identical.

The next picture, taken at 5X, shows a great job of the Samsung at night, controlling the lights better, not making weird flashes like the Google Pixel. Also in sharpness and detail the Samsung wins over the Pixel. Samsung again has more saturation and the scene is slightly warmer.

53515585339_5661f79bd0_b.jpg

53515698060_894df9ef3e_b.jpg

In this shot I'm sticking with the Samsung.

The next picture is at 1X, we notice that the Samsung in this case gives more light to the scene, overexposing in some areas. The Pixel offers a darker image, but with better light control.

53515586109_fc4f88cd11_b.jpg

53515698700_cf52eb823c_b.jpg

In terms of detail sharpness and detail, the Samsung gives us somewhat excessive detail and sharpness, looking somewhat unreal and more "colored" relative to the more realistic Pixel.

Photographing the Royal Palace and the Almudena Cathedral, at 1X, we have a similar photograph at first glance.

53515698580_af18317071_b.jpg

53515586309_0d90c5026d_b.jpg

The Samsung again tends to tend to more saturated and warmer colors and makes a strange tonality in the sky (I do not know if it is because of the night mode and light pollution of Madrid or something of the software itself).

However, in detail we appreciate that, unlike the previous photo, in this case it is the Pixel that does a job of exaggerated sharpness and detail that colors the image, while the Samsung offers a cleaner and more realistic image. It also controls the cathedral lights better.

In this picture, I'm sticking with the Samsung.

With the 3x zoom, we observe something similar to the previous image. This time the reflection of the light from the sky on the Samsung is less pronounced than in the previous photo and, again, it again controls the lights better than the Pixel.

53514381387_59561b8ec2_b.jpg

53514381682_17fd2f6212_b.jpg

If we look at the darkest area of the Royal Palace, we see that the Pixel barely gets any information out of that area, everything being smeared and with lots and lots of noise, while the Samsung keeps the scene much better controlled in all areas.

Again, I'm sticking with the Samsung.

The last picture of the comparison, with the 5X zoom, looks similar to the previous ones. The Samsung on this occasion has slightly more noise, but makes up for it with better controlled sharpness and detail than on the Pixel, which is again too aggressive for my taste.

53515586854_93ffca749c_b.jpg

53515434713_a6565a8126_b.jpg

Therefore, we can conclude that both cameras are very good. By day, with the 1X, perhaps the Pixel is somewhat superior, especially for the spectacular work it does with HDR. In ultra wide-angle, the Samsung is superior, as it is in zoom beyond 5X.

At night we start to find somewhat contradictory results. Sometimes the Pixel does a very bad job, other times it's the Samsung, sometimes it comes out a very good photo, other times garbage.

The issue of automatic mode and night mode has caused these situations to be generated, perhaps. Also say that at night, between how long it takes the Pixel to shoot the photo in 50MP and the night mode, makes it very difficult to hold the phone at hand during the 3/4 seconds it usually takes, so it is always advisable to take at least two photos to avoid unpleasant surprises. It would also be advisable to bring a tripod, to maintain a better stabilization during night photography.

At night, generally speaking, I would give a win to the Samsung, as the Pixel tends to overexpose the lights too much.

So, we have two ways of taking pictures, one more colorful and with more options, with the Samsung, in which it sometimes sins of over-processing and, on the other hand, we have the Pixel, which in daytime I still find almost unbeatable, but at night perhaps they should work with the issue of exposure of strong lights, since the Samsung with general character has done a better job there.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
I prefer the S24U over the Pixel overall. Also when comparing the cameras people should mention the zoom on the s24U. Then the ability to take photos in 200MB to crop or edit later. Not many smartphones can do this.
There are photos where the both do better than the other in some shots. Overall the camera on the s24U is better for me.

Reactions: Ludatyk

Neofox

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2024
Very nice review, thank you. I'm very surprised by the Samsung I wasn't expecting the pictures to be this good and at the end most of the time I preferred the Samsung pictures.

Reactions: jamezr

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Give the s24 ultra a few updates and we shall see. The Pixel has been out longer and had more time to iron out and kinks. That being said I think it is pretty impressive how well the s24 ultra has done because in my experience Samsung cameras for everyday shots have been a miss. Pixel on the other hand tends to always get the shot. However, I think the gap is much narrower than it has ever been and that is a big feat by Samsung.

Pixel cameras were so ahead of everyone that the lowly Pixel 6a won a bunch of photography awards and fan choice with old sensors and budget hardware and processor. So I think if Samsung is starting to borrow some of Googles photo magic then we will probably see these cameras getting better.

Great and detailed review by the way!!

Reactions: RSB96 and jamezr

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
Great review.
For the additional price, and the fact the zoom is that much farther on the Samsung, it’s amazing how much the Pixel (with the “inferior” hardware) beats it in most cases outside of zoom. Which is to be expected. But even the zoom shots it holds its own.

These images just underline that *for me* the pixel is still camera king. 👑

And this is before you even throw in a dog or a child… but we know who wins that round! 😅

Reactions: RSB96

Fille84

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2013
I have two complaints about the camera in Pixel 8 Pro. Firstly pictures in many situations just comes out too cold. And no it's not a natural look and yes I've looked at the pictures on different screens and they have a cold look on every screen. Second of all I don't like the portrait shots coming out of the Pixel, it's just a blurry background most of the times compared to Samsung that really can produce some dslr kind of effect to the bokeh.

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
I have two complaints about the camera in Pixel 8 Pro. Firstly pictures in many situations just comes out too cold. And no it's not a natural look and yes I've looked at the pictures on different screens and they have a cold look on every screen. Second of all I don't like the portrait shots coming out of the Pixel, it's just a blurry background most of the times compared to Samsung that really can produce some dslr kind of effect to the bokeh.
I always use the iPhone for portraits. It is infinitely better than the Pixel.

Neofox

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2024
And this is before you even throw in a dog or a child… but we know who wins that round! 😅

That's a shame that the pixels are not doing very good at portrait picture for sure..
I think the colder tint and the "bokeh" quality could certainly be improved

RSB96

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 23, 2021
Spain
If we compare the same photos taken before and after the upgrade, we can see that there have indeed been some obvious improvements.

On the left BEFORE the update and on the right AFTER the update. The update is the one that came out last week, so you have at the time of this writing, the latest software and camera version available for the S24 Ultra.

In these pictures indoors and in medium light we see that the dynamic range improves, leaving the photos brighter and with better control of lights, but above all, it gains a lot in sharpness and detail, especially when we zoom in 10X or 30X.

53571001786_041a90080c_b.jpg

53571198123_7bcb345278_b.jpg

53570141632_aa0e901b24_b.jpg

53570141592_41a2a05d17_b.jpg

Going back to compare with the Pixel, I put some pictures. Pixel on the left and Samsung on the right. All taken at 50MP.

In the first photograph, taken at 5X, we see a similar scene in both, although the Samsung works better the backlights and the building behind the trees does not look burned, as it does in the Pixel. In terms of detail the Samsung has slightly more detail, but less sharpness and vice versa on the Pixel. They are very similar photos, but the Samsung's better job with the high lights makes me stick with the Korean's photo.

53570208767_99c95e29ec_b.jpg

Next photo. Taken with the 1X. We note this time that the Samsung on 1X has slightly more field of view than the Pixel. The scene, however, comes out better controlled on the Pixel, with a good contrast and light level. The Samsung on the right side of the image overexposes somewhat and certain artifacts from the sun are visible. In terms of sharpness and detail this time the Pixel once again comes out on top.

53571391194_927de254b4_b.jpg

53571505390_6b0fff352c_b.jpg

The same shot with 5X. We again see better detail and sharpness in the Pixel. The Samsung takes a more contrasted image, perhaps a bit too dark. In both shots I'm sticking with the Pixel over the Samsung.

53570208697_5278e2bfd1_b.jpg

Another shot at 5X. Again the Pixel gains in detail and sharpness. HDR does a better job on the Pixel as well, bringing out the sky with less noise and more detail. The scene is better contrasted and balanced on the Pixel. As in the previous review, we note that the Pixel tends toward a cooler white balance, while the Samsung uses a warmer tonality. In this shot I'm again sticking with the Pixel.

53571265333_d93f952030_b.jpg

Next shot at 1X. The Pixel controls the scene and lights better and the color of the light building is better appreciated. In detail and sharpness the Pixel wins. I again choose the Pixel.

53571391349_e707cfc235_b.jpg

53571505535_ca37826f21_b.jpg

Same shot at 5X. The same as in the previous times. Again I choose the Pixel.

53571265418_7ec33e9112_b.jpg

Another shot at 5X. The Pixel again controls better the lights and shadows of the scene, taking more information from the buildings where the sun shines, generating a more contrasted and somewhat darker scene, but in general terms it does better than the Samsung. It gains again in detail and sharpness. If we zoom in we can even observe some noise in the Samsung, while nothing is visible in the Pixel. The Pixel wins again.

53571505615_dfaac9b09b_b.jpg

53571391489_40a11ec11a_b.jpg

New shot at 1X. The Pixel does a better job of HDR. The Samsung offers a slightly too warm scene. On the subject of detail and sharpness, the Pixel is perhaps slightly better in this scene, but the Samsung looks pretty similar in this case. Like the first, both shots are "similar", but the HDR I reckon on the Pixel makes the overall scene look better.

53570208912_75bb96141b_b.jpg

53571069116_112fa34ebd_b.jpg

Shot at 5X. We observe a similar scene. The Samsung at the top of the building controls the light better, but you can see the artifacts in the antennas from too much HDR. On the Pixel that area looks somewhat blurred and out of focus. In this shot I'm sticking with the Samsung.

53571391579_91f10449db_b.jpg

53571069181_5e0d897612_b.jpg

Another shot at 1X. In this case we observe a better job of the Pixel with HDR, the sky comes out less burned, but the scene comes out somewhat more contrasted and darker. In detail and sharpness both are similar, perhaps slightly better the Pixel. I would go with the Pixel for the better treatment of the sky.

53571505770_c7235ac7bc_b.jpg

53570209047_327a3160f7_b.jpg

Photo at 1X. The Pixel does an excellent job with HDR and highlights, offering a sky with more information and a less contrasted scene with more detail and sharpness. Pixel wins.

53570209097_e3fb874ef0_b.jpg

Same shot at 5X. Again the Pixel offers a less contrasted and better exposed scene, with more detail and sharpness. The Pixel wins again.

53571391649_2994484a1d_b.jpg

53571391699_e9b65c2017_b.jpg

Next scene at 5X. We again have two similar photographs in this case. In this case the colors, contrast and lighting I see better in the Samsung. The scene in the Samsung comes out better focused and with more sharpness and detail. The Samsung wins in this case.

53571391774_771bb2d0fe_b.jpg

53571265853_6c4163afac_b.jpg

Next shot at 1X. The scene on the Samsung is too warm. The Pixel's scene is more natural. In terms of detail and sharpness it is similar. I'll take the Pixel for the better white balance.

53571265843_852bb2a5cd_b.jpg

With the 5X zoom on the same scene, we again observe something similar. Very warm and over contrasted scene on the Samsung. In this case the Pixel gets more sharpness and detail. I'll stick with the Pixel.

53571069446_9caf24e515_b.jpg

Scene already getting dark at 1X. The Samsung returns to a warmer tone, but not as excessive as in the previous photos. In terms of detail and sharpness I see them quite similar in this case although the Pixel controls the strong lights of the stores and the sign better. We are looking at two very similar photographs, perhaps I would take the Pixel for the better control of the lighting and lower contrast.

53571265958_75c2a10c79_b.jpg

53571506005_484964d054_b.jpg

Another shot at 1X. As in the previous case, very similar, being somewhat warmer that of the Samsung. The Samsung seems to contrast the image less and the exposure is somewhat higher without being excessive. The Pixel controls strong lights better than the Samsung, as can be seen in store signage. In terms of detail and sharpness, the Pixel is slightly above. Both shots are very similar, maybe I would go with the Samsung's because I see it more "alive" and less dark.

53571506010_0d706fcd69_b.jpg

53571069496_9781a7da52_b.jpg

The last shot in the same scene, 5X. The Pixel here is clearly better. In fact, on the Samsung we took two shots because the first one was even worse. Detail, sharpness, color, contrast... everything is better on the Pixel in this case.

53571069551_2fb35bcc11_b.jpg

So this is the "new" review with the latest software version. I'm still of the opinion that in mobile photography the Pixel is unrivaled (I tested a bit the Xiaomi 14 Ultra and it left me quite impressed in the two pictures I took in the store), and the Samsung, being an excellent competitor and taking very good pictures, going to detail the Pixel still dominates with its processing. Neither is perfect, but overall I like the photos taken by the Google Pixel better.

The Samsung S24 and iPhone 15 Pro Max would be the other two competitors with better camera on a mobile, but both for my taste are below the Pixel.

Reactions: psp123 and Neofox
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.