Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
I'm just curious as to what apps people use to print out photos. Example, I have jpgs from my digital camera. I open them up in Photoshop, edit them (if needed), scale/crop them to fit the paper size, then print them out via the .psd file. I then keep the .psd file with all the layers and what not incase I need to print them out again. Is that the way you all do it?

I would use iPhoto, but I don't want the original file of the picture to be changed, and in Photoshop I can keep the original photo file and print borderless.

Thanks for any tips :)

This might belong in the Pictures section but since I'm posting no pictures, so this may be the proper section.

Cleopatra

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2005
Norway
I do the same. But I have a backup for all my picture as they came from the digital camera too. That is because I use some of the photos in greeting cards, some in the iphoto and some in my genealogy program. But this depends on that you have a lot of storage space. When I work professional I have different profiles on the photos too. So I always keep the original.

wwooden

macrumors 68020
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
There is a really good article in the newest MacWorld magazine all about comparing printing companies. They compared all the online printing services. It was a good article and I recommend checking it out.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I have learned to keep the original unretouched images from the camera, and periodically burn them to DVD to back up the files. The challenge is cataloguing them -- when publishers come looking for the high res versions of my rose photos*, I have to be able to find them quickly or I lose the $.
I have Extensis Portfolio but I haven't installed it yet.

Thanks
Trevor

*http://www.everyrose.com

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I shoot RAW from my Canon 20D and also have the jpg - usually use that for web stuff if I use it directly from my camera.

But I'll usually tweak the image a bit in photoshop when I import the thing as RAW and edit in 16 bit mode and save it as a .psd

I don't convert to jpeg for printing, even at the highest setting.

D

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
Thanks for the info all.

I would shoot in the uncompressed format my camera has (TIFF), there's two main reasons why I don't. 1) The image file takes up a lot of memory on the memory stick so I won't be able to take much pictures and 2) Although I know that TIFF/RAW is better than JPG (for print), I compared a TIFF I shot with my digi cam and compared it the JPG it recored as well and I couldn't see any significant difference in image quality. It may be because I took it in the evening so not much color was visible at all. I've also been checking out this site.

Within the next couple of months I plan to get a new digital camera. Possible a Canon (like the one Mr. Anderson has) and plan to get a whole lot of storage so I can shoot in uncompressed formats.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.