Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Targ Hunter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 16, 2023
I am looking for a photo editor that syncs its edits with the built-in Photos app and library. I know about Photomator and RAW Power and am evaluating both of those now. Are there any others that I am missing?

I am moving to managing my entire library in Photos and iCloud, including RAWs. I love seeing random photo memories on my phone out of the Photos widget and would like to consolidate everything into the Photos copy as the master copy.

arkitect

macrumors 604
Sep 5, 2005
Bath, United Kingdom
I am looking for a photo editor that syncs its edits with the built-in Photos app and library. I know about Photomator and RAW Power and am evaluating both of those now. Are there any others that I am missing?

I am moving to managing my entire library in Photos and iCloud, including RAWs. I love seeing random photo memories on my phone out of the Photos widget and would like to consolidate everything into the Photos copy as the master copy.
Affinity Photo works well within Apple Photos on the Mac. If Affinity Photos is installed the options should be available in Edit, click the 3 dots icon…

You can even develop RAW files and the changes are saved back to Apple Photos.

Hope that helps!

1686930763539.png

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
There is a feature I miss: several years ago, there was an option where one could set the preferences in Photos to edit the images externally. In this case one could choose other photo-editing apps as default, edit the photo, and it would be automatically saved (by default) in Photos.

I just realized that editing the images in Photos can still be done externally, but I still ahem to figure the specific steps. this is the starting process: In Photos choose the image to edit, then go to the "Image" menu and choose "Edit With." Now a window opens showing all the editing apps that you have in your computer. Just choose whichever app you want to use to edit the photo. So far Affinity Photo, Photoshop Elements 2022, and OneOne PhotoRaw 2023 work without any glitches, but I haven't figure the way to edit Photos images with my favorite app, DXO PhotoLab 7.

Last edited:

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
hmmmm.. Trying to figure out a way to get out of the apple cloud photos.. but still get majority of the functionality and ease of use of things. I have a Synology NAS.. I have the know how.. Just doesn't feel like I can get the best of all worlds....

Ray2

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2014
hmmmm.. Trying to figure out a way to get out of the apple cloud photos.. but still get majority of the functionality and ease of use of things. I have a Synology NAS.. I have the know how.. Just doesn't feel like I can get the best of all worlds....
Given your investment in hardware, you might take a look at Adobe's Photography plan. $10/month, includes the simpler Lightroom app and the more complex Lightroom Classic app (confusing/mindless naming convention that occasionally changes to maintain the confusion). As well as Photoshop and a variety of web publishing apps I use regularly and find excellent. Acknowledging some folks abhor Adobe, the systems works and works very well. Frankly I think it runs circles around Photos and it’s compatible extensions/apps.

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009

Beside Affinity Photo that is great, other apps are Raw Power, Pixelmator Pro: all working straight from Photos
and at a very good price right now for the BlackFriday time

Reactions: Jumpthesnark

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Beside Affinity Photo that is great, other apps are Raw Power, Pixelmator Pro: all working straight from Photos
and at a very good price right now for the BlackFriday time
A great number of apps can be used for editing photos straight out of Photos. DX Photo Lab 7 should also work the same with Photos, but I haven't been able to figure how to make it work so far. Affinity Photo, OneOne's Photo Raw, Graphic Converter (the so called The Poor Man's Photoshop), Photoshop Elements, and so on are fully compatible.

The problem with DXO's Photo Lab 7 (my favorite) is that when I choose to "Edit With" in the Photo's menu, Photo Lab launches as it should, but presents me with a blank work menu, and asks for me to choose the folder where the photo is supposed to be at. But if I were to choose to edit the photo with any of the apps mentioned above, the app launches and presents me with the photo in the editing screen. At this point I can perform all the editing I need to do, and the now edited photo is automatically saved in Photos.

I will have to figure there reasons why Photo Lab is failing to automatically open the image Photos is allowing it to edit.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.