Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lacrossegoalie4

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2004
Missouri and Chicago
Hey everyone!

I'm looking for the best, free photo hosting site that you've found. I know there are a ton of options. I'm looking for something that has a multiple photo upload (java or other), which is easier than clicking "Browse..." for each photo.

For example, I know on yahoo photos, the multiple upload tool opens like a "Finder" window on PC, but it limits the Apple to individual uploads using "Browse..." for each. Any recs would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

tigers

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2004
Irmo, SC
lacrossegoalie4 said:
Hey everyone!

I'm looking for the best, free photo hosting site that you've found. I know there are a ton of options. I'm looking for something that has a multiple photo upload (java or other), which is easier than clicking "Browse..." for each photo.

For example, I know on yahoo photos, the multiple upload tool opens like a "Finder" window on PC, but it limits the Apple to individual uploads using "Browse..." for each. Any recs would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Two I've tried are
http://www.fotki.com or, http://www.flickr.com

Both are pretty slick, but flickr seems to be the slickest of the slick right now. Both have paid options if your needs outweigh their free options. Flickr has a thriving Mac community here: http://www.flickr.com/groups/macintosh/ and you can get iphoto integration too.

dhracer88

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2005
Shutterfly or CJB is your best bet

Shutterfly --works for sharing pictures, you send an email with the link to your page. Plus when you sign up, you get 15 free prints, that's why I did. Your albums can't be viewed by the public however. Unlimited storage.

Showmyimages --I haven't tried this one, but you get 20 MB of space. Public.

Zoomshare --not really a photo specific place, but if you want to post 50 pictures for free, and have a website, this is the place. I've tried 'em, but upload is pretty slow because they have these irritating adult google ads changing every 15 sec. :mad:

DeviantArt --haven't used them either, but I you can post your images, have other users comment on them.

CJB --you could create an entire website for just your images, 50 MB, FTP. I just started using them for my website and photos, and it's world's better than zoomshare.

-----------------------
Overall, for sending pictures to family and friends, Shutterfly is the best. With publicly viewable photos, my experience lies only within zoomshare (hate them) and CJB.

Hope this helps,
JM

tigers

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2004
Irmo, SC
Inkmonkey said:
This is new to me and looks pretty cool. How is the iPhoto integration?

This page describes flickr/iphoto integration: http://www.speirs.org/flickrexport/ . It's pretty slick since it will upload your photos and keywords all at the same time.

lacrossegoalie4 said:
Thanks for all the help so far! You guys are great! Does flickr have unlimited storage?

Yes, they have unlimited storage, though I'm not sure if that applies to the free accounts. The pro accounts (around 50 USD/year) do have unlimited storage, although they limit you to 1 gig of uploads per month. Downloads are unlimited, however.

Inkmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Calgary
tigers said:
This page describes flickr/iphoto integration: http://www.speirs.org/flickrexport/ . It's pretty slick since it will upload your photos and keywords all at the same time.

Well it sounds slick but I'm more interested in hearing from someone who has actually used it. It sounds like it's a 3rd party hack and I try to install as few of these on my system as possible. So I'd like to hear from someone who can comment on it's use, reliability, etc.

tigers

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2004
Irmo, SC
Inkmonkey said:
Well it sounds slick but I'm more interested in hearing from someone who has actually used it. It sounds like it's a 3rd party hack and I try to install as few of these on my system as possible. So I'd like to hear from someone who can comment on it's use, reliability, etc.

I use it routinely. Yes it's a 3rd party add-on. However, Flickr has well documented API's so that developers can make things like this that integrate with their site. It works like a charm. Never had any issues with it at all, and I've uploaded somewhere around 1.5 gigs of photos (including keywords) to flickr using it.

Inkmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Calgary
tigers said:
I use it routinely. Yes it's a 3rd party add-on. However, Flickr has well documented API's so that developers can make things like this that integrate with their site. It works like a charm. Never had any issues with it at all, and I've uploaded somewhere around 1.5 gigs of photos (including keywords) to flickr using it.

Thanks tigers. I'm gonna give it a shot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.