Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
I haven't seen a specific thread on this, and I'm curious to know if Photos will convert older photos and videos to the new format and save space, or if there is a concern that the reformat would diminish quality. Anyone know?

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
That would not be a good idea IMO because you're going from a lossy format to another lossy format. Yes, it is a real concern. Just leave the old stuff alone and save your space with the new stuff.

But for the record, Photos in High Sierra did not attempt to convert any of my videos or photos, thankfully.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Original poster
Feb 12, 2010
That would not be a good idea IMO because you're going from a lossy format to another lossy format. Yes, it is a real concern. Just leave the old stuff alone and save your space with the new stuff.

But for the record, Photos in High Sierra did not attempt to convert any of my videos or photos, thankfully.
This is pretty much what I thought. It was just unclear from the presentation/website. Thanks!

Is there an option to convert ?
Doesn't look like it.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I haven't figured out how to convert images to HEIF yet but did create a quick video for video conversion to HEVC. Hopefully it's built into Compressor/Automator at some point in a later release.

I think you would need to pull your videos files out of Photos, convert them, them put them back in.

MattXDA

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2014
UK
No conversion of older assets

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-07-02 at 10.45.04.png
    Screen Shot 2017-07-02 at 10.45.04.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 163

Superhai

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
You can use ffmpeg and the HEIF example source from Nokia to convert image files to HEIF. I want to warn you though, loading heif pictures is slow on older Macs,and converting is an even more time consuming task.
Apple has never converted formats in Photos before, I have lots of photos in RAW/TIFF/JPEG formats and they stay that way, so I can't really not see any reason why Apple would suddenly start to convert older, especially lossy compressed files now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.