Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlaskaMoose

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2008
Alaska
Taken in March, posted in April :)
i-kmtWJSz.jpg

Alexander.Of.Oz

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 29, 2013
File this one under the category of 'I don't know if it works or not!!'
I quite like it Stephen, I wish there was a tad more space at the wing tips, and the noise was bugging me, so this is what I could whip up quickly before racing off for todays Mindful Photography group in the city. I gather it's a severe crop into the image?
Untitled.jpeg

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Lovely day doing Easter Egg hunts again with the girls today. Managed to get to Dumfries House and also Alloway where Robert Burns was born. Got to see Brig O' Doon - the bridge on the back of a Scottish fiver! I liked this fence quite a bit in the walled garden at Dumfries House

L1005812.jpg by Ken OHagan, on Flickr
Easter egg hunts reminds me of a trip from back in the day. Me and a group of mates (pre wives and kids), went to a country park. They were having an Easter egg hunt for kids that we didn't know about.
So no one was allowed in until 10:30. Well as we weren't going to be hunting eggs, we decided to go in early (through an unlocked side gate). Well the eggs were laminated shapes that you had to hand in for a prize.

We thought we'd move a few to more challenging places. Like high trees and a small island in the middle of the pond!
Got to make them work for it!
[doublepost=1522649084][/doublepost]
b56f6f74b96e6ea855a26e56238bf606.jpg

on the way to the pub.
Better than on the way back from the pub!
[doublepost=1522649126][/doublepost]
Nice.
[doublepost=1522649164][/doublepost]
Sorry, taken in March
i-kmtWJSz.jpg
No need to apologise with images like these.

kenoh

macrumors demi-god
Jul 18, 2008
Glasgow, UK
Easter egg hunts reminds me of a trip from back in the day. Me and a group of mates (pre wives and kids), went to a country park. They were having an Easter egg hunt for kids that we didn't know about.
So no one was allowed in until 10:30. Well as we weren't going to be hunting eggs, we decided to go in early (through an unlocked side gate). Well the eggs were laminated shapes that you had to hand in for a prize.

We thought we'd move a few to more challenging places. Like high trees and a small island in the middle of the pond!
Got to make them work for it!
[doublepost=1522649126][/doublepost]
Nice.
[doublepost=1522649164][/doublepost]
No need to apologise with images like these.

Lol is it wrong to be sat here feeling proud of you? That is funny... Naughty but funny.
[doublepost=1522650670][/doublepost]
Sorry, taken in March
i-kmtWJSz.jpg

Who cares! Look at it! It's beautiful...

:)
[doublepost=1522650797][/doublepost]
b56f6f74b96e6ea855a26e56238bf606.jpg

on the way to the pub.

Lovely. If taken on the way home, there'd be more camera shake right? Lol

Lovely shot.
[doublepost=1522650871][/doublepost]

A380 - disappearing into the low cloud - BHX
by Stephen Cooper, on Flickr

Fujifilm X-Pro2
XF100-400mmF4.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR
ƒ/5.6 @400.0mm 1/2000 ISO1600

File this one under the category of 'I don't know if it works or not!!'

What's your thoughts on the 100-400 so far?

I love mine but find I really need to keep the shutter speed up. I keep confusing it being soft with me being rotten using it.

I love this image. It is deamatic and works well I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: anotherscotsman

oblomow

macrumors 601
Apr 14, 2005
Netherlands
[doublepost=1522650797][/doublepost]
Lovely. If taken on the way home, there'd be more camera shake right? Lol

Lovely shot.
Funny that you mention that. I brought a tripod. And used it. However the photo was shot from an old bridge. I could feel the bridge moving every time a car passed. I was worried that the image would come out all blurry.

anotherscotsman

macrumors 68020
Aug 2, 2014
UK
At the back of the Meadows Anglican Church, South Australia.

_MG_0798-X3.jpg

Canon 6D, Canon 17-40mm f/4 L, Multi-segment Metering, Manual Mode
ISO 100, 40mm, f/4, 1/500

[doublepost=1522621036][/doublepost]
I enjoyed your two long-exposures of the jetty, the second one was the stronger to me, due to the paring back of the handrail. Less is more apparently. It would be a great spot to get back to if it's not too far a trip to get there, to explore different POV's again, and different cloud formations. It's the clouds that make LE's such a challenge, to me. The initial scoping out of a spot, with a multitude of shots from all manner of different potentials is pretty quick and can be done in any weather, that's just about composition after all. But, getting the right clouds and in the right direction, is the biggest challenge I am finding.
That was my first visit to the location - not a problem to get there, only 35 minute drive. Tide timing was the issue with the highest water only giving about an hour or so of decent opportunity. I agree with you about the direction (and mix) of cloud movement - there was probably too much cloud to get a decent sense of movement in the sky but perhaps not quite enough to give an absolutely featureless sky. Definitely plan on going back next month (tide).

Here's another - more complex and not quite the composition I was after but I still quite like it.

Marine Lake 5
by another scotsman, on Flickr
[doublepost=1522655175][/doublepost]
Sorry, taken in March
i-kmtWJSz.jpg
Who cares when it was taken - gorgeous!

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
So here is my first from yesterday's trip. I set off at 4 am to get there for sunrise, but didn't quite get the one I hoped for. Still I went to the lake (or Llyn as they say across the border) first. Later on I'd have never had got this shot as there were cars parked all alongside the lake.
_DSC6607 by apple fanboy1, on Flickr

ISO100, f11, and 76 second exposure courtesy of the Lee Big stopper (10 stop ND filter). I believe I also had a 0.9 Grad
filter as well. Nikon 24-70 at 26mm on my trusty D750.
Going to be a few of these as I don't get out much!
Comments always welcome.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
Not AGAIN!?!?!? .....

View attachment 756653

It's that nice heavy heart attack snow , too . Words cannot describe how thrilled I was to wake up to this .

Where do you live? (General area) it was in our forecast for awhile here inthe DC area but in the end we only got a little bit of rain and the temps stayed in the high 30s.

someoldguy

macrumors 68030
Aug 2, 2009
usa
Where do you live? (General area) it was in our forecast for awhile here inthe DC area but in the end we only got a little bit of rain and the temps stayed in the high 30s.
I'm in northeast NJ , just outside NYC . I'm driving home from visiting family in Mass. last night and there's highway signs on the Merritt Pkwy. warning of a winter weather advisory . No way , I thought.. well above freezing , big moon , wispy clouds ..... Anyway , it'll melt fast .

Reactions: mollyc

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
I gather it's a severe crop into the image?

Nice, I like the softer image - might have another play with it. The image itself is pretty much full frame (at 400mm) - I had to rotate it a bit to correct the level so I lost a bit of the right hand side wing tip.

What's your thoughts on the 100-400 so far?

I love mine but find I really need to keep the shutter speed up. I keep confusing it being soft with me being rotten using it.

I love this image. It is deamatic and works well I think.

It took me a while to get used to it. An annoyance was that I'd left it in auto aperture mode, so it was selecting f/13 for me rather than anything faster - once I remembered to turn it off I was getting better results - the weather was crap though, but I'm pleased with the handheld results - using the monopod was a pain in the arse. Still remain to be convinced about the 1.4 TC - I guess I need some decent weather for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.