Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuckeee

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2023
Southern California
This photo isn’t very good, but there’s a bit of a mystery behind it that I thought someone here could address. Based on many of the pictures here there seems to be an interest in birds. And perhaps one of you amateur ornithologists can help with this.

There are two of these fellows, and they have bright yellow breasts (sort of hard to see through the filtered glass window). And for the last five days or so, all day long, they’ve been flying up to the window and pecking at it. The window is heat treated glass so outside has a mirror like surface. They are very timid so I haven’t been able to capture a picture of them outside. Anyone have an idea of what’s going on? I thought maybe they have a nest somewhere and they see their reflection and they’re trying to scare off a competitor?

IMG_7060.jpeg

katbel

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2009
This photo isn’t very good, but there’s a bit of a mystery behind it that I thought someone here could address. Based on many of the pictures here there seems to be an interest in birds. And perhaps one of you amateur ornithologists can help with this.

There are two of these fellows, and they have bright yellow breasts (sort of hard to see through the filtered glass window). And for the last five days or so, all day long, they’ve been flying up to the window and pecking at it. The window is heat treated glass so outside has a mirror like surface. They are very timid so I haven’t been able to capture a picture of them outside. Anyone have an idea of what’s going on? I thought maybe they have a nest somewhere and they see their reflection and they’re trying to scare off a competitor?
The photo is not helping too much, but
maybe is a Cedar waxwing because of the short tail that has some yellow too
and with bright yellow breast there are not that many. Other colours you noticed would be useful for a more precise identification.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)

View attachment 2371169
We've had goldfinches do this, where they cling to our screens and chirp. Can't tell if that's what this is though.

Reactions: Chuckeee

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Is that taken in a door knob? Very cool shot.
I think it was as sculpture. My memory fails me on this. I did have to rotate the picture to get the floor in the right position. As you well know, based on your pics, there is always an opportunity to take a shot. 😃 I love this thread it inspires and teaches me!

• Love
Reactions: C0ncreteBl0nde

Janichsan

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006

View attachment 2371169
Where (geographically) is this?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.