Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xodh

macrumors demi-god
Apr 14, 2015
Manchester, England.
This probably is the rarest (and lots of my 840 trilobites are rare) trilobite in my collection it is undescribed species and perhaps also genus that I am working on to describe: A beautiful slab I will show whole slab today and image of this rare second only found speciemen in 15 years tomorrow

Species: Lichakephalus? n. Sp.
Order and Suborder:
Order LICHIDA Moore, 1959
Family LICHAKEPHALIDAE Tripp, 1957
Formation: Lowermost Fezouata Shale
System: Lower Ordovician
Description: A very rare undescibed genus and species with forked pygidium. Only second ever found both prepared by Aziz (aka Harapis Trilobite on Facebook( for Hassane Mhamadi whom I purchsed from.
Location: Drâa Valley Tisguine, Morocco (I do have precise GPS coordinates for the find a short distance above the valley floor in the top of the lowermost Lower Fezouata Shale. FYI but that will not be shared here but remain with this specimen as a holotype that I am currently describing it could also be new genus and just in the family LICHAKEPHALIDAE
————————————————————-
This is second specimen found in nearly 15 years and no others have been found except two tails (pygidia )

This slab was collected for the two other trilobites this was found by accident by my good friend from Erfoud Morocco when they were cleaning the two other trilobites (Listed below on left shade from the rare specimen)

View attachment 2226569
What a fantastic specimen. Good luck with the classification. That is something special!

iMyke

macrumors regular
May 6, 2020
Amanita flavorubens, also known as the yellow American blusher or the yellow American blushing amanita
The genus Amanita contains about 600 species of agarics, including some of the most toxic known mushrooms found worldwide, as well as some well-regarded edible species. This genus is responsible for approximately 95% of the fatalities resulting from mushroom poisoning, with the death cap accounting for about 50% on its own. The most potent toxin present in these mushrooms is α-Amanitin.

The genus also contains many edible mushrooms, but mycologists discourage mushroom hunters, other than experts, from selecting any of these for human consumption.
IMG_0892_0706_06212023_LCDdiffVer2_t7i.jpg

Last edited:

Steven-iphone

macrumors 68000
Apr 25, 2020
United States
Amanita flavorubens, also known as the yellow American blusher or the yellow American blushing amanita
The genus Amanita contains about 600 species of agarics, including some of the most toxic known mushrooms found worldwide, as well as some well-regarded edible species. This genus is responsible for approximately 95% of the fatalities resulting from mushroom poisoning, with the death cap accounting for about 50% on its own. The most potent toxin present in these mushrooms is α-Amanitin.

The genus also contains many edible mushrooms, but mycologists discourage mushroom hunters, other than experts, from selecting any of these for human consumption.
View attachment 2226645
Got to know your food in nature. I just started eating mushrooms. Sticking with the Baby Bellas (crimini).

Reactions: bondr006

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
Hi Cockney Rebel and welcome to the PoD thread,

I'll be the bad person to point it out.... But the Photo of the Day thread is meant to have participants post no more than one photo a day as to not have people flood the thread.

The rules of the thread can be found in the first post of this, and every, months thread.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2018
Hi Cockney Rebel and welcome to the PoD thread,

I'll be the bad person to point it out.... But the Photo of the Day thread is meant to have participants post no more than one photo a day as to not have people flood the thread.

The rules of the thread can be found in the first post of this, and every, months thread.
Hello.

I did read the rules, but I’m from the UK and it’s now past 2am.

Therefore, I thought it would be ok to post a new shot as for me, it’s a new day.

Sorry if it seemed like I was ignoring the rules (I truly wasn’t.)

Can’t sleep, which is why I posted my second shot. I believe you’re 6 hours behind us in the UK, so in future I’ll not post until morning time.

Hope that’ll work?

ovbacon

Suspended
Feb 13, 2010
Tahoe, CA
Hello.

I did read the rules, but I’m from the UK and it’s now past 2am.

Therefore, I thought it would be ok to post a new shot as for me, it’s a new day.

Sorry if it seemed like I was ignoring the rules (I truly wasn’t.)

Can’t sleep, which is why I posted my second shot. I believe you’re 6 hours behind us in the UK, so in future I’ll not post until morning time.

Hope that’ll work?
Ahhh, I tried to see if that was a possibility but they just seemed so close in time that I wasn't making the assumption that you were in UK or Eu time as it seemed to late in the night ;)

Thanks for responding and not assuming the worst on my part in pointing this out.
ps. I personally am 8 hours behind UK time.

The Cockney Rebel

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2018
Ahhh, I tried to see if that was a possibility but they just seemed so close in time that I wasn't making the assumption that you were in UK or Eu time as it seemed to late in the night ;)

Thanks for responding and not assuming the worst on my part in pointing this out.
ps. I personally am 8 hours behind UK time.
Don’t worry, I did ponder the same thing, but as I explained, it’s actually a new day for me.

I’ll do as I said, though, and wait till morning time in future to post a new shot ;).

🚢 Heading Towards The Deep North Pacific Ocean 🌊

🔎 Focal Point: Golden Gate Bridge, Northern Hemisphere Sunset 🌅

🕖 7:15 PM, Golden Gate National Recreation Area, 🌉 The Golden Gate Bridge, San Francisco Bay, San Francisco, California. 🌴

1688275125828.png

🫡 The Bay Area Living Forever! 💫

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.