Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WombatKombat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2019
Hello ??

I need some help with photo resolution. I currently have a 6S that I take all my instagram photos on. I do the odd paid post here and there and last month I did a small feature for a magazine that used a few of my photos. They have asked me if I could do another feature but they would want some higher resolution photos that would be okay printable at A4 size.

My questions are:
Can my iPhone 6S do this and perhaps it’s a setting I’m not familiar with?

If it can’t then would upgrading to an 11 be a good option?

Or, should I be looking at buying a camera? I know this is what I need to do long term but I’m not familiar with using a camera and my iMac has recently died. I’m concerned that I wouldn’t have the time to learn how to use one or it wouldn’t produce a similar image without editing?

I have three weeks to get my article and photos taken so it’s something I need to decide fairly quickly.

I should add it’s not a super high quality glossy magazine but it still needs to be a decent quality for printing.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
I believe the 6s has a 12 megapixel camera, so photos are roughly 4000x3000 in resolution.

Quick search for printing A4 sized photos yielded this:

To output an image properly it needs to have a certain minimum resolution. The number of pixels depend on the required output quality. At 300 ppi (pixels per inch) the image needs to be 2480 x 3508 pixels.

So should be safe with the 6s if resolution for print is what your concern is. However, the iPhone 11 is likely going to be vastly better in photo quality (though still the same resolution for photos). It is 4 years newer compared to the 6s. Could always buy the 11 to try for this project and return if you don’t feel its worth it.

Also - I imagine there’s some excellent 3rd party camera apps that will give you a lot more control for photography.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.