Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

purpleinnej

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Yigo, GU
I've been pulling my hair out for MONTHS trying to solve this conundrum, so any and all advice is SUPER appreciated.

I've been using iPhoto, and have multiple libraries (I start a new one every couple of years to keep the size down). I despise the new Photos, but will switch to it if absolutely necessary to do what I want.

I import my pics into iPhoto, edit (usually just the quick auto edit), tag faces, name faces, and title each picture (I use the same thing as title and description). Then I split into events, usually based on month, but big events (like Christmas and long vacations) get their own event. All of that is still hunky dory. The problem..... sharing to Facebook. I used to be able to share directly from iPhoto to FB and descriptions would remain intact. My FB albums mirrored my iPhoto events, so I could just refresh it to publish any new additions (like when I pulled pics of hubby's phone and there are some stray Christmas ones, those could just be added to the Christmas event, then pushed to the FB Christmas album). But, FB changed their login API and since iPhoto is no longer doing updates... that's broken and not going to get fixed.

TL;DR: I need an app, or Photos extension that will allow me to:
1. Organize pictures into albums/events/folders
2. Do light editing
3. Tag and name faces (automatic is okay, but I want to be able to do it manually for when the automatic route misses)
4. Share to Facebook in specific albums, with descriptions included.

Things that don't work: iPhoto (stated above), Photos (doesn't include descriptions), exporting to a folder, then uploading to FB manually (FB doesn't use filenames as descriptions), shutterfly (sharing to FB doesn't ADD them to FB, just shares a shutterfly link).

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I use Lightroom. I can add a photo title in the Caption section of the metadata and Facebook picks it up as a title.

Everything else you want to do can be done in LR as well. I have never used Photos and am not sure how much metadata you’ve saved there would transfer over in import though.

purpleinnej

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Yigo, GU
I use Lightroom.

I have looked at Lightroom. While I’m willing to pay for software for this, I’m not willing to be tied to a monthly fee indefinitely. As far as I can tell, there’s no way to purchase the software without also paying for their storage (which I don’t need).

purpleinnej

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Yigo, GU
You can still purchase a standalone single app license for LR. Adobe has stated that they will no longer provide updates for it, but if your biggest goal is simply to use as a database, it may be a viable option for you. It's really hidden on the Adobe site as they would much rather push the subscription model.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/download-install-single-app-Lightroom-6.html

From the website: Due to an API behavior change introduced by Facebook, the Facebook publish service will no longer work in Lightroom 6 with a perpetual license. See this tech note for more details.

So this won't help me get to where I want to be with posting directly to FB.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
From the website: Due to an API behavior change introduced by Facebook, the Facebook publish service will no longer work in Lightroom 6 with a perpetual license. See this tech note for more details.

So this won't help me get to where I want to be with posting directly to FB.

Okay but I think it would still export the captions as titles to a folder for manual upload.

Otherwise look at what stillcrazyman suggested.

purpleinnej

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 8, 2010
Yigo, GU
Okay but I think it would still export the captions as titles to a folder for manual upload.

I can export from iPhoto with captions as filenames. But uploading to FB doesn’t recognize those filenames as descriptions. I still have to manually change them.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
You might also give Graphic Converter a look. It's less money than Lr and gets updates regularly. I use it to organize, browse and occasionally edit. Not sure of the upload to FB albums, but I do a manual upload to mine and SmugMug.

https://www.lemkesoft.de/en/image-e...tch-conversion-metadata-and-more-on-your-mac/

This is intriguing. I use Photoshop Elements as my editor... does Graphic Converter allow external editors? Can it be configured to serve as an image repository and allow direct edits in PSE?
[doublepost=1525758939][/doublepost]
You can still purchase a standalone single app license for LR. Adobe has stated that they will no longer provide updates for it, but if your biggest goal is simply to use as a database, it may be a viable option for you. It's really hidden on the Adobe site as they would much rather push the subscription model.

https://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/help/download-install-single-app-Lightroom-6.html

I have been tempted several times to just do the LR thing... I refuse to do the monthly subscription, so I'd definitely go with the standalone version... my biggest concern is "no more updates"... what does that actually mean in terms of expected lifespan? Does it work well with High Sierr? Will it work with macOS 10.14? 10.15? I don't mind spending $150 for the software, but I'd really be upset if I paid $150 for 6 months of use. I realize no one can answer the last couple of questions (yet), but it's the only thing holding me back.

stillcrazyman

macrumors 603
Oct 10, 2014
Exile
This is intriguing. I use Photoshop Elements as my editor... does Graphic Converter allow external editors? Can it be configured to serve as an image repository and allow direct edits in PSE?
[doublepost=1525758939][/doublepost]

I have been tempted several times to just do the LR thing... I refuse to do the monthly subscription, so I'd definitely go with the standalone version... my biggest concern is "no more updates"... what does that actually mean in terms of expected lifespan? Does it work well with High Sierr? Will it work with macOS 10.14? 10.15? I don't mind spending $150 for the software, but I'd really be upset if I paid $150 for 6 months of use. I realize no one can answer the last couple of questions (yet), but it's the only thing holding me back.

Graphic Converter does allow external editors. I have three apps setup that way. It is my main organizational app. I would think that PSE would work just as well.

mollyc

macrumors 604
Aug 18, 2016
I can export from iPhoto with captions as filenames. But uploading to FB doesn’t recognize those filenames as descriptions. I still have to manually change them.

Lightroom will keep the titles upon uploading to FB (manually). But it seems like LR is not the best option for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.