Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petererr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
Hi,

I have been annoyed by this for a while. When I delete photos from my Camera Roll, how do I set up to make same photos deleted from photo stream as well. I feel like I've been managing two photo sets (camera roll and photo stream) unnecessarily, but they two are meant to sync, aren't they?

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Hi,

I have been annoyed by this for a while. When I delete photos from my Camera Roll, how do I set up to make same photos deleted from photo stream as well. I feel like I've been managing two photo sets (camera roll and photo stream) unnecessarily, but they two are meant to sync, aren't they?

No they're not meant to sync. They are two separate things. Camera roll is local storage. Photostream is cloud storage, meant to store your 1000 most recent photos, so you can download them to another device or computer, or just keep them in cloud storage if you have less than 1000.

You may not want a photo on your phone's local storage, but you don't want to lose it. If you haven't already downloaded them to your computer, then keeping them in cloud storage is very important.

The iPhone does not know if you want to delete a photo just from local storage, or completely, therefore it does not assume and it does not delete the photo from photostream as well.

You must delete from photostream manually.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hi,

No, they don't fully sync. When you take a pic, it copies the pic from your Camera Roll to the My Photo Stream, so it's available to all the iOS devices you may have. If you delete the pic from Camera Roll, it doesn't delete it from My Photo Stream automatically. It will remain on My Photo Stream for 30 days, unless you delete it from there.

iCloud: Photo Stream FAQ

petererr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
Photostream is cloud storage, meant to store your 1000 most recent photos,

Too bad if this is true. I normally like to keep my camera roll 'selected', meaning deleting photos I don't like. Also I don't really take many photos. If it's 1000 it means most photos (including photos I don't like) will be there for a very long time if I don't manage photo stream manually.

It will remain on My Photo Stream for 30 days, unless you delete it from there.
iCloud: Photo Stream FAQ

Thanks very much for the reference.

"How long are My Photo Stream photos stored in iCloud?
The photos you upload to My Photo Stream are stored in iCloud for 30 days to give your devices plenty of time to connect and download them."

But as far as I can see this is simply not true. Most of my photos there in photo stream are way older than 30 days. Actually none of them are ever removed from photo stream except those I deleted manually:(

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Too bad if this is true. I normally like to keep my camera roll 'selected', meaning deleting photos I don't like. Also I don't really take many photos. If it's 1000 it means most photos (including photos I don't like) will be there for a very long time if I don't manage photo stream manually.

Thanks very much for the reference.

"How long are My Photo Stream photos stored in iCloud?
The photos you upload to My Photo Stream are stored in iCloud for 30 days to give your devices plenty of time to connect and download them."

But as far as I can see this is simply not true. Most of my photos there in photo stream are way older than 30 days. Actually none of them are ever removed from photo stream except those I deleted manually:(
If you create a shared photo stream, such as "My Vacation", those are never removed unless you remove them. The 30 days only applies to the default photo stream called "My Photo Stream", which cannot be shared with others. Even if some pics remain in "My Photo Stream" longer than 30 days, they can be deleted from that stream any time after the 30 days.

petererr

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 9, 2008
If you create a shared photo stream, such as "My Vacation", those are never removed unless you remove them. The 30 days only applies to the default photo stream called "My Photo Stream", which cannot be shared with others. Even if some pics remain in "My Photo Stream" longer than 30 days, they can be deleted from that stream any time after the 30 days.

No, I was talking about My Photo Stream. Never created any shared stream.

So from your own experience, photos indeed are deleted after 30 days??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.