Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Hi all. I seem to remember that at one time my iPhone synched photos with my iPad , via home wi-fi...but without iCloud photo synching (?). Could be wrong but is there an easy, automatic way for photo synching between my iPhone and iPad (BUT NOT MBPro) when at home and on the same wi-fi? Thought they used to do this at one time .....don't want to use iCloud for several reasons and don't want to overload my MBP SSD. Plenty of free space on the iPhone and iPad. Again, thought they did this at one time but don't really remember how I had it set up. Thanks for any suggestions.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
I believe Syncing can only be done through iCloud Photos or plugging into a Mac and using iTunes / Finder

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
Q? Can you, or have you, got iCloud Photo for the MBP enabled?

If so I'd guess that would do what you want. You can still use iCloud on MBP for other purposes - Safari, Documents, Keychain, etc.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
VA
I believe Syncing can only be done through iCloud Photos or plugging into a Mac and using iTunes / Finder
Yes...think you're right but thought at one time I could use iCloud(?) for just the iPad and iPhone...could have sworn that at one time I had just them synching without the MBP....Maybe I have to have iCloud turned on just for those two?

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Q? Can you, or have you, got iCloud Photo for the MBP enabled?

If so I'd guess that would do what you want. You can still use iCloud on MBP for other purposes - Safari, Documents, Keychain, etc.
Thanks for the reply. Per the reply I gave above to 'now I see it'...Yes...think you're right but thought at one time I could use iCloud(?) for just the iPad and iPhone...could have sworn that at one time I had just them synching without the MBP....Maybe I have to have iCloud turned on just for those two?

IowaLynn

macrumors 68020
Feb 22, 2015
iCloud should be fine for all devices and still not enable Photos just on MBP. It's too handy for other purposes not to. And those two can share your Photo Library.

iCloud enabled all devices
Photos only in ios & ipadOS

Reactions: Blowback

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 10, 2018
VA
iCloud should be fine for all devices and still not enable Photos just on MBP. It's too handy for other purposes not to. And those two can share your Photo Library.

iCloud enabled all devices
Photos only in ios & ipadOS
Yeah....maybe thats how I had it set up and screwed it up somehow...have my reasons to not want iCloud on the MBP. Will (return) to having it on the pad/phone. Just dumped ~2k 'new' photos from phone to MBP. Wow! Curation does take some time. Thanks for the reply and suggestion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.