Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kathmandu04akit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 19, 2011
The following Mac Apps (Photos,Preview,Safari,Mail) are trashing display of image files on (at least) MBP's w/Retina display including when clamshell ported via HDMI to 4k display using monitor at SysPref display default scaling. Same trouble happening on a friends newer MBP w/Retina Display (mine's a mid 2014). Of course you can change the System Pref/Display to what is now ridiculously called "More Space" if you want to use the Hubble telescope to see your text and icons. But in any scaling choice within Displays, the Mac Apps shouldn't upscale images without user choosing that - period. If the user wants zoom in, knowing/watching it pixelate - fine. It shouldn't be zoomed by default, calling it "Actual Size".

I never noticed this on my previous 1920x1080 monitor. But when switched to a 4k monitor - now images that look perfectly fine in Photoshop on the 4k monitor look awful in all Mac applications listed above. Same goes for the Retina display on the MBP when the 4k is disconnected. Macs with Retina displays or 4k (and I assume higher res ones too) are Upscaling image files when displaying them as Apple's "Actual Size" default viewing mode in Mac Apps. Upscaling was the term used by an Apple senior tech when I contacted them recently (awaiting a follow up from them). This resize method is also called UpSampling. Why Apple is Upscaling images was a mystery to 3 techs. During “screen share” with them, they all acknowledged/saw the upscaling occur in Mac Apps and seemed to understand my disappointment in Apple for going this route.

Please look at the screenshots posted here at 100% or at "Actual Size" to see the trouble. Not sure if the fuzzy upsampled Mac App versions will only be noticeable on Retina or 4k displays. But I promise the original image used with accompanying descriptions are sharp and in focus. It was made with high quality gear, only to look terrible if you happen to be viewing it using a high quality display through an Apple product application. Photographers, Graphic artists and many folks who have relied on Apple for great image handling now are being short changed with only hope being future updates (possibly system?) to stop this image degrading default practice, mishandling of files. If this was somebodies idea that users would want to see image files bigger/zoomed/fuzzy as default and call it actual size - I call that wrong - inappropriate. It makes one ashamed to share photos they made in fear of the viewer looking at them with a Mac and Retina or 4k display. Seeing perfectly fine images look unnecessarily fuzzy! If this is widespread upon inspection, what can be done besides how I’ve let Apple know, shared these screenshots with them, had 3 Apple Techs witness it, sharing it here on MacRumors?

Thanks friends, hate to sound like a rant, but this is a mess. I’m not sure if it is only since High Sierra or on older OS as well. For all I know maybe it’s happening with other platforms using 4k or higher monitors. But i’m looking to Apple to fix it on Apple machines.

update - looks like the MacRumors image uploader downsized these shots and the effect is not as visible. Try your own image in photoshop then open same image in preview and compare (if you have a retina or 4k monitor) to see the trouble.

Attachments

• MacUpscaling1.jpg
    MacUpscaling1.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 162
  • MacUpscaling2.jpg
    MacUpscaling2.jpg
    977 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.