Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bendjosh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2018
Wasn't sure where to put this post as it's iMac and Mac Mini related... Like many I was hoping to pick up an updated iMac today. Now looking at a couple options and would appreciate some advice. I'm not nearly as savvy with this stuff as most of you seem to be.

I use my computer almost exclusively for photo editing in Lightroom and Photoshop... that's really about it but I sometimes will have a youtube video or Netflix going on one of the monitors if I'm not working too hard. I currently have the following:
  • Macbook Pro 15 inch Late 2013
  • 2 external 27" monitors. NOT 4k or 5k but the monitors have been solid for photo editing and proofing for print. One SRGB and one full RGB. The screen on the MacBook is busted but it still outputs to the externals fine.
  • 512 SSD
  • 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7
  • 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
  • NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
    Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB
The two options I am considering:
  • 27" Imac - $2099
    • 3.4GZ - Quad Core - 7th Gen i5
    • 8GB (I will increase RAM on my own)
    • 512 SSD
    • Radeon Pro 570
  • Mac Mini - $1299
    • 3.0 GHZ 6 core - 8th Gen i5
    • 8GB (I will increase RAM on my own)
    • 512 SSD

Will I notice a substantial increase in performance with either of the two new options or should I just keep running what I have? I think i'm limited by the 16GB Ram in my current laptop as I work with some huge stitched RAW files sometimes and often am working on multiple images from a shoot all at once. Nothing I can do about the RAM in the laptop... and the screen is busted on the laptop so I can't take it anywhere these days. Is there a better option I should consider?

Thanks!

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2013
Oregon, USA
I’m a big mini fan but also have a 5k iMac. Once you’ve run LR and PS at 27” retina, you’ll wonder how your eyes ever managed without it.

Do not go mini if it means not going at least 4K.

Reactions: Bendjosh

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
I’m a big mini fan but also have a 5k iMac. Once you’ve run LR and PS at 27” retina, you’ll wonder how your eyes ever managed without it.

Do not go mini if it means not going at least 4K.

This is what kills me, once you spec out the mini to match the low end iMac Pro, the iMac Pro is cheaper...

Now, I am talking adding an Apple mouse & keyboard, the 27" 5K LG monitor & the BlackMagic Design Vega 56 eGPU...

You save 600 bucks, and you gain two cores & ECC RAM...

And you do not have a sleek little SG mini sitting next to a hulking funky looking eGPU enclosure, with a seperate monitor...
[doublepost=1540965268][/doublepost]Also, for the OP, did today's keynote not tell you that you need to buy the new iPad Pro instead...?

After all, soon both Lightroom & Photoshop will be available on the platform...! ;^p

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
I personally will never buy another imac, even if it does equal out to a more budget option in the short term. I did not care for the all in one option, or the limitation in sizes. My last 5k imac was a basket case, and lugging it to the apple store multiple times was a nightmare.

I personally prefer a 32 inch, or ultra wide monitor over 2 smaller ones, and I want a VESA mount to use an arm for perfect positioning. I much prefer the more modular nature of having everything being broken down into components that I can upgrade as needed.

GPU technology will continue to be where all the innovation is for a while so while egpus are a inelegant solution, it means you can set yourself up to upgrade without having to buy a entirely new system, when the need arises.

Reactions: elpibe10
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.