Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
I'll get things started with a portrait of my wife I shot in Hawaii.

Attachments

• rindi_contrast.jpg
    rindi_contrast.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 205

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
I love contrast, i usualy go over the top with it when doing color corrections.
This shot is right out the camera with no photoshop other than resizing.
contrast_1.jpg

what i love about this shot is the ground look black then you can see the fence which is even darker. :D

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
I'll post up the gist of that article after work tonight....for now I gotta get something up here to subscribe me again :)

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
AL-FAMOUS said:
she is a much better looking version of a big brother contestant... it was only a (bad) joke...

Heh, had to Google that one - my wife's hair is quite a bit longer (though it doesn't really show in that picture) but the curliness sure is similar...

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
OK, the technique is for hand-tinted looking photos so if you want it to not look hand tinted use a different blend mode and don't apply a blur otherwise basically do as follows:

1. Use Channel Mixer to desat as an adjustment layer make sure to check monochrome!

2. Make a duplicate of the original image and put it to the top of the layer stack with a blend mode of soft light.

3. Gaussian Blur to give it that hand tinted look. Use a radius of 10 pixels or so unless your image is small.

4. Choose blending options from the Layer Style menu at the bottom of the layers palette.

5. Drag the top left slider in the "blend if" box to somewhere around 50, then hold option and drag the left half of that slider to 10.

You can probably use a normal blending mode to achieve the non-hand-tinted effect. Play around with the last step. It's what's used to determine what gets color or not. In other words, a dark range is blended in with the previous layers so you don't get color on those areas. The only thing here is that if you want to specifically highlight something it'll be difficult to get exactly right with this approach, however this will make it much easier to get the color out from around the object so you can simply use a layer mask as I said and not have to worry about cutting out the object. Hope this all makes sense I paraphrased and applied it to what you guys wanted to do...

belair

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2004
Luxland
No photoshop here neither.
The light lines behind the cars were created by another car passing by and since it was a long shutter time it came out pretty cool.
:cool:

Attachments

• red2002.jpg
    red2002.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 214

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
belair said:
No photoshop here neither.
The light lines behind the cars were created by another car passing by and since it was a long shutter time it came out pretty cool.
:cool:

Yay! Another long exposure person! I'd say you should look at my pics but they're about 5 threads back since I've been so busy. You can check out my site though...and for the rest of you who still remember it, my blog has been redesigned. Should be more useable too. Just remember: work in progress! I have a lot of new ideas that are going to take some thinking through but they SHOULD be done by the end of the week, or the end of my third semester starting this week :). This includes an RSS feed (which I don't find so useful except between sites, or for actual news sites). I saw a comment somewhere where a person ONLY visits sites with feeds. That doesn't even make sense.

Capt Underpants

macrumors 68030
Jul 23, 2003
Austin, Texas
I haven't posted in a photography thread in.... forever....
Here's the only one I saw that hadn't been posted before.

Attachments

• ContrastCompressed.jpg
    ContrastCompressed.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 211

Zenith

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2001
Norway
Here's seven pictures from me:

contrast1.jpg

A shot from Cuba. A Swedish and a native girl. Too bad the original is a bit blurred. Looks good when cropped like this.

contrast2.jpg

Another shot from Cuba with a Norwegian girl and an old native lady.

contrast3.jpg

Cuba again. Here's a Norwegian guy in an old taxi.

contrast4.jpg

This is the Church of Nidaros in my current hometown in Norway, Trondheim. It was a nice sunny day in May.

contrast5.jpg

This is a shot from Lisbon in Portugal.

contrast6.jpg

Another shot from Portugal, but this is something completely different. Yep, you guessed right! It's the guts of a G5! Photo is taken through one hole in the cheese grater front.

contrast7.jpg

And lastly, a shot by my dad from Budapest, Hungary. The quality difference between a Nikon Coolpix and a Digital EOS is even quite noticeable on these resolutions as well.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Capt Underpants said:
I haven't posted in a photography thread in.... forever....
Here's the only one I saw that hadn't been posted before.

Welcome to another first time poster. My post here was the first time in this type of thread.

Great first post.

JDar

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2003
Cobwebs and contrast

Cobwebs can be hard to record but the sunlight was shining through cracks, lighting the webby things well.

Attachments

• webby-thing.jpg
    webby-thing.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 189

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
when doing the thing how do you resize your images... i put mine up at the full 6million pixels... which isnt very nice for the 56k users... anyone?

p.s im going to stonehendge today (live just down the road now) so i will try to get some good shots down there

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Base of the Eiger in Switzerland

(taken with an S2 Pro)

Attachments

• DSCF0706.jpg
    DSCF0706.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 200

5300cs

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2002
japan
Grindelwald, Switzerland

(taken with an S2 Pro)

Attachments

• DSCF0618.jpg
    DSCF0618.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 175
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.